Stocking 10 Gallon Aquarium

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies are typically suggested for larger tanks (20 long at least). A 10 is pretty small for 4 for of them, let alone one. It is also recommended not to have a betta in a community in anything less than 20 gallons.

Your profile states that you do not know the nitrogen cycle so I suggest reading up about it as it is important for the health of all your fish and inverts.
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Do you know what your water parameters are? If your tank isn't cycled, you'll need to do water changes more than twice a month. Weekly water changes are suggested.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corydoras need to be in groups. A single one by itself is not a happy fish. And as a result a 10G is just not appropriate for cory species.

I don't have any experience with dwarf gouramis, but I have read that they can be super aggressive if you have two males. Especially in a small space. I think you could have real issues there when they mature. I don't really think a 10G is large enough for even one anyway...

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, is this a 10g as stated in your profile? If so then I believe you’re way overstocked with just the 4 mollies alone:/

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes are they okay if I leave them in there or do I have to move them

Or is there anything I can do to keep them in there safely

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Corydoras, especially emeralds, need a large tank. They are one of the largest corydoras species. They also need about 6 per species, and more the merrier. Limit of only one dwarf gourami per tank unless you have multiple females and in a spacious tank. Platies would be okay in the ten, though I'd say platies in a larger tank are better. Snails are fine in most tanks, and the amazon swords are going to get pretty big, unless they are the compacta versions.

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can the corydora school with other types of corys such as bandit or panda

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SBarrett312 said:
Can the corydora school with other types of corys such as bandit or panda
No!
They will hang out with each other since they aren't given any other option. But it does not give them the security they would feel in a group of their own kind. I've seen it both ways. There is a huge difference in behavior when they are with their own kind.

You've been warned that your tank is not big enough for a group of cories. So why even ask that question anyway? Just curious.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Emerald corydoras, or brochus splendans, need about a 30 gallon minimum, as they are one of the largest corydoras available. If you want corydoras, either get a 15 gallon and pygmy corydoras or a 20 and bronze corydoras or something like that. Don't do it.

Remove the mollies. I'm suprised the betta hasn't fought them yet, especially since you have such a small tank. Alos, the frogs shouldn't be there with other fish and are best with their own kind, as they get their toes bitten off and legs broken sometimes. Also they will eat small snails and will eat shrimps. The only things that can actually live in there comfortably is the betta and nerite snails.

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Because I’m wandering what to do if I get a bigger tank. The last thing I want to do is crowd them or make them feel uncomfortable

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Frogs need to be in a species only tank. Rehome the mollies and the frogs. The betta will be fine in the 10.
I agree with most of this answer, but I have successfully housed my adf and platty and guppy and mystery snails and arcs all in a 29 gallon tank, but just because it works for me doesn't mean the same for you, my snails free roam, my frog owns the right side and the shrimp own the left. The fish are only two and the free roam as well

I also have a heavily planted tank

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Plants help, though the OP doesn't have dense plants, and I've seen betta and other fish bite off their toes and seriously injure the frogs. C'est la vie.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Plants help, though the OP doesn't have dense plants, and I've seen betta and other fish bite off their toes and seriously injure the frogs. C'est la vie.
Oufff that would be awful . Now I'm wondering if I should get a separate tank for my jerky thee frog lol

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ms rose said:
Oufff that would be awful . Now I'm wondering if I should get a separate tank for my kermy thee frog lol
Maybe. Another 10 gallon with a colony of ADFs would be really freaking cool, especially when they start to sing and try to mate.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FriarThomasIII said:
Maybe. Another 10 gallon with a colony of ADFs would be really freaking cool, especially when they start to sing and try to mate.
DONE!! I have been looking for something to do with my spare 10 gallon, look what you have done hahaha thanx for the great idea

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, that sounds really freaking cool man. What all do you want to do with it? Also ghost shrimp would be neat as a cleaner/food source?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom