20 Gallon Tank Stock Options For 20 Long?

Megaanemp

Hello all,

Total here beginner just starting some research!

I’m starting to plan my first saltwater tank, it would be a 20 long (that’s all I have space for).
Is this large enough to have 1 or 2 fish, some coral and maybe an invert?
Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching what families of coral and fish may be appropriate?
I like the look of ocellaris clownfish and yellow clown gobies. Would either one work in a tank this size (not necessarily both)?
Any help is much appreciated!

NC122606

Hello all,

Total here beginner just starting some research!

I’m starting to plan my first saltwater tank, it would be a 20 long (that’s all I have space for).
Is this large enough to have 1 or 2 fish, some coral and maybe an invert?
Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching what families of coral and fish may be appropriate?
I like the look of ocellaris clownfish and yellow clown gobies. Would either one work in a tank this size (not necessarily both)?
Any help is much appreciated!
Great! Looks like you have been doing some research and know the stocking mostly! Now I don't see a problem with 4 fish.

- 2 Clownfish
- Yellow Clown Goby
- Royal Gramma or Firefish

- 2 Clownfish
- 1 Yellow Watchmen Goby and Pistol Shrimp

- 2 Clownfish
- 1 Yellow Clown Goby
- 1 Possum Wrasse

Really you can mix and match but here are fish you can mix and match, just keep it to 4 fish.
- Clownfish (Ocellaris)
- Possum Wrasse
- Pink Streaked Wrasse
- Clown Gobies (Green or Yellow)
- Gramma (Royal, Blackcap, and chalk.)
- Blennies (Tailspot, Barnacle, Midas, Redspotted, Redlip, and Yellowtail Fang Blenny)
- Assessor (Yellow, Blue)
- Hawkfish (Flame, Falco)
- Anthias (Geometric Pygmy Perchlet)
- Other Gobies ( Circus Banded, Jester Court, Randall's, Red Banded, Yasha, Orange Prawn, Wheeler's, Blue neon, and many more.)
- *Probably skip* Angelfish (Hit or miss right here but only one I would pick is the cherub or african flameback. Probably better to skip this unless you want to try.)
- Damselfish ( Green Chromis, Yellowtail)
- Firefish Goby (Firefish, Exquisite, Helfrich’s, Dartfish)
- Dottyback (Orchid)
- Cardinalfish ( Banggai, Flame, Pajama, Orangestriped)
- *Warning* Skip these unless you would like to pay a lot extra for pods. Dragonettes (Green, Red, Scooter Blenny, Ruby Red Scooter Blenny)

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Great! Looks like you have been doing some research and know the stocking mostly! Now I don't see a problem with 4 fish.

- 2 Clownfish
- Yellow Clown Goby

- 2 Clownfish
- 1 Yellow Watchmen Goby and Pistol Shrimp

- 2 Clownfish
- 1 Yellow Clown Goby
- 1 Possum Wrasse

Really you can mix and match but here are fish you can mix and match, just keep it to 4 fish.
- Clownfish (Ocellaris)
- Possum Wrasse
- Pink Streaked Wrasse
- Clown Gobies (Green or Yellow)
- Gramma (Royal, Blackcap, and chalk.)
- Blennies (Tailspot, Barnacle, Midas, Redspotted, Redlip, and Yellowtail Fang Blenny)
- Assessor (Yellow, Blue)
- Hawkfish (Flame, Falco)
- Anthias (Geometric Pygmy Perchlet)
- Other Gobies ( Circus Banded, Jester Court, Randall's, Red Banded, Yasha, Orange Prawn, Wheeler's, Blue neon, and many more.)
- *Probably skip* Angelfish (Hit or miss right here but only one I would pick is the cherub or african flameback. Probably better to skip this unless you want to try.)
- Damselfish ( Green Chromis, Yellowtail)
- Firefish Goby (Firefish, Exquisite, Helfrich’s, Dartfish)
- Dottyback (Orchid)
- Cardinalfish ( Banggai, Flame, Pajama, Orangestriped)
- *Warning* Skip these unless you would like to pay a lot extra for pods. Dragonettes (Green, Red, Scooter Blenny, Ruby Red Scooter Blenny)
Thank so much for the super detailed reply! I’ve got a decent amount of experience stocking with fresh water fish but feel a little lost when it comes to saltwater fish, so I really appreciate the help I’m going to research all the species you mentioned!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

40 Gallon Tank 40 Gallon Long Reef
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
r4fish17