Question Stock Openings- 20 Gal Centerpiece

Drakon

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I have a 20 gallon long that recently underwent an ammonia spike and I lost some of the stock. I now have the ammonia under control and will continue monitoring it while doing precautionary wc.

Once I’m confident the tank is completely stable, what could I add to the tank?

It currently has
12 ember tetras
3 kuhlI loaches
1 nerite snail

I had a male betta, but he didn’t make it through the ammonia spike. Any ideas for a new “centerpiece” fish? I already have honey gouramI in another tank, and I’m not a fan of dwarf gouramis. I have tried GBR before but my LFS never seems to get healthy ones in. If there isn’t another centerpiece species I like, I suppose I could get another betta, but I would like that to be my last option.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Id up your kuhlis to 6-8 as well :D

A bolivian ram is doable, bring the tank temps down to 77, itd work for all your stock and not be too warm for the bolivian ram. Theyre hardier than GBR.

However, if your tank temps are higher than 80F, GBR is a good choice, coralbandit has good healthy fish often. Something they could advise you on... GBR can be kept healthy if gotten from a good source and kept in conditions ideal for them.

OP
Drakon

Drakon

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MissNoodle said:
Id up your kuhlis to 6-8 as well :D

A bolivian ram is doable, bring the tank temps down to 77, itd work for all your stock and not be too warm for the bolivian ram. Theyre hardier than GBR.

However, if your tank temps are higher than 80F, GBR is a good choice, coralbandit has good healthy fish often. Something they could advise you on... GBR can be kept healthy if gotten from a good source and kept in conditions ideal for them.
I’ve definitely been looking to up my kuhlI loaches, just haven’t seen them in my LFS for a while. I’m also slightly worried about introducing young kuhlis to my 3 others, as they’re quite aggressive to any other bottom feeders I’ve introduced.

A Bolivian ram might be an option!

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ive introduced younger ones to my others and they were just fine :)

Are yours the striped real kuhlis or the "black kuhlis" (actually are java loaches)

OP
Drakon

Drakon

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
MissNoodle said:
Ive introduced younger ones to my others and they were just fine :)

Are yours the striped real kuhlis or the "black kuhlis" (actually are java loaches)
They’re the striped ones :)

New Threads