Stock New 75 Gallon

Fisherofman

Just picked up a 75 Gallon tank from Petco (They have them on sale) and I'd like some ideas of how to stock it. I really want some colorful Cichlids.

Please provide the following...

Substrate

Fish

Filter/Canister recommendation

Any other additional information

max h

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand as substrate since it's $8.50 for 50 lbs. As far as the filtration goes I use canisters, prices vary greatly. That will all depend on your budget, I use Marineland Magniflows and Fluval FX 4's at the present time. Get 2 heaters that are each able to handle the tank by themselves, you can do the same with filters. Reason being is there's always a backup already running in case one has issues. Lighting expense will vary depending on if you are going to do live plants.

Fisherofman

Any suggestions on fish?
I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand as substrate since it's $8.50 for 50 lbs. As far as the filtration goes I use canisters, prices vary greatly. That will all depend on your budget, I use Marineland Magniflows and Fluval FX 4's at the present time. Get 2 heaters that are each able to handle the tank by themselves, you can do the same with filters. Reason being is there's always a backup already running in case one has issues. Lighting expense will vary depending on if you are going to do live plants.

max h

I don't keep cichlids I know that there's plenty of others on here that do. I have community tanks, I really like the BosemanI Rainbowfish very pretty fish. I have 8 of those in a 150 along with 25 Bloodfin Tetras, 8 Zebra Loaches, 10 Albino Cories, and 14 Cherry Barbs. The Rainbow fish will get to about 5" in length.

Fisherofman

Any idea how long it'll take for the cloudiness to go away?

eaf2686477f38e953921728db0eb7d55.jpg

max h

If you're running a big canister filter or 2 smaller ones, that should clear up in a couple of hours. It really doesn't look that bad at all.

Fisherofman

Would floating particles in the surface of the water due to stagnation also be filtered via the Canister or should I agitate the water to have these particles suspended
If you're running a big canister filter or 2 smaller ones, that should clear up in a couple of hours. It really doesn't look that bad at all.

max h

If you used Black Diamond that will actually break up and dissipate. Some batches end up with a residue that floats at the surface. The good thing is it's harmless. When you do water changes just run a paper towel around the water line and you will see a reduction in the film. I also try to point 1 or 2 of the output nozzles towards the surface to try and break it up some.

Fisherofman

Thanks for your help. So when I install the hose for the canister do I submerge the output or do I keep at the level of the water? Some videos that I've watched showed both.
If you used Black Diamond that will actually break up and dissipate. Some batches end up with a residue that floats at the surface. The good thing is it's harmless. When you do water changes just run a paper towel around the water line and you will see a reduction in the film. I also try to point 1 or 2 of the output nozzles towards the surface to try and break it up some.

max h

It will really need to be submerged to get the filter prime and the filter running properly. The intake runs off of a siphon gravity feed principal, once the filters running the output can be slightly above the surface.

THRESHER

Wow, nice tank! I have a 75 with Cichlids. My stock is:

1 OB Peacock
1 Green Peacock
1 Grey Peacock
1 Blue Peacock
2 Albino Peacocks
3 Bumblebees
2 Aceis (Blue Haps)
3 Red Zebras
1 Salvini
1 Electric Blue
1 Ivory Head
1 Clown Knife
1 Bala Shark
1 Spotted Rafael
2 Yellow labs
1 Pleco
1 ButtikoferI which is the tank boss
and i'm still adding more. In the process of getting a 90/110g tank to move all my cichlids to, then have the 75 just for the ButtikoferI as he will be a tank destroyer and needs to be alone in the tank.

I have 2 canister filters running side by side. No issues.

Fisherofman

Nice setup. Definitely use that for some inspiration.

Quick question..
Does this fish look bloated?

If so, how do I combat this and how did it happen so I can avoid it happening again?

Wow, nice tank! I have a 75 with Cichlids. My stock is:

1 OB Peacock
1 Green Peacock
1 Grey Peacock
1 Blue Peacock
2 Albino Peacocks
3 Bumblebees
2 Aceis (Blue Haps)
3 Red Zebras
1 Salvini
1 Electric Blue
1 Ivory Head
1 Clown Knife
1 Bala Shark
1 Spotted Rafael
2 Yellow labs
1 Pleco
1 ButtikoferI which is the tank boss
and i'm still adding more. In the process of getting a 90/110g tank to move all my cichlids to, then have the 75 just for the ButtikoferI as he will be a tank destroyer and needs to be alone in the tank.

I have 2 canister filters running side by side. No issues.

8429a60da1172da7ddd025e158190f13.jpg

max h

Nice setup. Definitely use that for some inspiration.

Quick question..
Does this fish look bloated?

If so, how do I combat this and how did it happen so I can avoid it happening again?

8429a60da1172da7ddd025e158190f13.jpg

You may want to start a separate thread for the fish, if you think there's something going on with an illness. Post as few good pictures of the fish and a good description of the problem as well as all water parameters. There's some people on here that are pretty good with illnesses and may not ever see this thread.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom