Stock My 29 Gallon Tank!

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done a bunch of research on taking care of fish. I just can’t decide what I want to stock my tank with! I was thinking a community tank, maybe with dwarf Cichlid or rams, but with a good variety of community fish with pretty colors. I am going to add live plants (I know how to care for those too ), but keep in mind I want these fish to be easily accessible, i’m Still unsure about buying fish online, maybe you guys could also link a good and trusting online fish store as well! Thank you for your time!!!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do something like this, these fish can be swapped around a bit

-2 Rams
-1 DG
-6 Neon Tetras or Bloodfin Tetras
-6 Cherry Barbs
-6 Panda or Skunk Cory cats (can swap for another type if you prefer these are just my favorite)
-1 BN pleco

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
-1 Male Bolivian Ram
-1 Female German Blue Ram
-8 Glowlight Tetras
-8 Cardinal Tetras
-8 Panda or False Julii Cory (Usally sold as juliis) (Can switch the Cory types too).

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would probably just do a pair of bolivians or a pair of German blues, not a mix. If you want GBR look for fish that like warmer water, in the 80s. If you like bolivians look for fish that prefer water in the 70s. The fish i would recommend would depend on which you prefer, or if you prefer apistogramma.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want color I would go with the German Blue Ram. It comes in a few color variations. German blue standard, electric blue, black, gold. Cardinal Tetras would look nice with them. I also have mine with some black neon Tetras, as according to Rachel O’Leary they like warmer waters than regular neons.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would probably just do a pair of bolivians or a pair of German blues, not a mix. If you want GBR look for fish that like warmer water, in the 80s. If you like bolivians look for fish that prefer water in the 70s. The fish i would recommend would depend on which you prefer, or if you prefer apistogramma.
This is so important. When I was starting off, I got one GBR and Bolivian and the GBR was not doing well. I didn't realize it preferred temps well into the 80s. That will affect the type of fish you get along with it too.

Joshua Gonzalez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just did some research and I like the look of the blue German blue rams!

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just did some research and I like the look of the blue German blue rams!
They look more stunning than Bolivians for sure, but their temp requirements (ideally 82-83 and higher) makes finding suitable tankmates a bit more challenging. If you can find good companions that can thrive in those temps, go for it! However, I also read somewhere that GBRs are less hardy and more risky than Bolivians. Good luck!

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gbr are a stunning fish, not as large or hardy as bolivians, but they are fantastic when kept right. Remember to keep your water in the 80s for them - that's important.

How do you feel about cardinal or rummynose tetra? Sterbai corydoras?

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’d do some German Blue Rams with neon tetras or Cardinal Tetras. That would look so cool!
It's up to you on this but cardinal tetras are more of a wild caught species and take a little longer to acclimate but I think cardinals are a better choice if you atlre looking for a hardier choice of the two.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Neons are a no-no for German blues. They go better with Bolivians. Neons do better in colder water than GBR while cardinals are better suited for it.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Neons are a no-no for German blues. They go better with Bolivians. Neons do better in colder water than GBR while cardinals are better suited for it.
This.

In my tank I have 2 Bolivians with a school of neon tetras and they do well (along with a host of other fish).

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom