stock list for a 50 gallon | Page 2

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by snuggs86, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah I would say get a few more turbos and maybe a half dozen hermits or a few emarald crabs.

2. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

snuggs86Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    i have 3 hermits as afew died after afew days of being in the tank. can i have emarald and hermits together? i am going to get more turbos but wont be for a week or so.

3. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes you can I have 6 and 2 emaralds with 3 turbos now that my tank is established.

4. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    ok. thanks.

5. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Not a problem!

6. carlos413

carlos413Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    I ve had bad luck with hermits. Blue and red ones. Even if I place a few empty shells they always seem to go after my snails. I have a 55 gallon and in the first few months my tank went threw some algae blooms. I change my water once a week 10 gallons at a time watch how much I feed and lights on for 8.5 hours and now it's almost all gone.

7. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah once hermits get hungry they will attack turbos just feed them sinking pelets once in a while and the will do fine together.

8. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    i lost a hermit another one. they dnt seem to do well in my tank :(. I lost one of my cleaner shrimps as well. so this week is not a good one so far. I got 2 more turbos and they all seem to be doing well. All my paras are fine and i do a water change once a week at the minute. my lights are on for 9hrs so mayb i ll try reducing them to 8hrs.

9. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Have you checked your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, calcium, magnessium, something's not right I think what's happening is new tank syndrome!!! Can you give me a full description of your tank for one the water and what do you have running in your tank?

10. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    all tests are coming back fine i take samples of water to LFS and they test it for me at the moment as i thought i was doing it wrong but they say nothing is wrong and everything is fine. my salinity was a little high the other day at 1.027 but i just added plain RO water to bring in back to 1.025. The fish are doing fine and the boxing shrimp is fine the other cleaner is fine to. The corals are growing and lookng good. I ve lost 3 hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 turbos since adding them on 24.04.
    This is all the information i know about my tank and whats in it on this website.

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/aquareef200.php

11. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So what cleanup crew do you have currently?

12. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    1 cleaner shrimp, 2 red leg hermits, and appox 13 turbos.

13. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    just found my cleaner has died :(. I really dont know why all my paras are fine everything is working fine. i did my last water change last week. The fish seem to be happy and fine. My boxing shrimp is doing good, he comes out for feeding time and at night. The corals are still growing, GHA getting better.

14. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Okay so this is the only thing I can think of is if you are using RO water and the tank has not been set up long enough and is still going thru the reef cycle and with hare algae. are you using kalkwasser calcium? If not get some and I will tell you what to do> Okay so alkilinty is at? and test ph in the evening when sun goes down . You need to get a sea hare like I said awhile back first!!! This is what will do wonders to your tank at a rapid pace are you with me? the turbos will not be able to get it all and my next question is how many hours and what is your timers at?

15. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    ok. the tank was set up for 3 months before i added any livestock and had done a full cycle with the live rock and coral sand in. i am not using kalkwasser calcium. ok sea hare i will be getting tomorrow hopefully my LFS didnt any in when i last went so they have ordered one in for me. My lights are on anything from 8-9 hours.

16. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hopfully they have one available. Once the hare is in and starts to do it's job then I would recommend that you use kalkwasser in a slow drip method but only after most hair algae has been cleaned up by hare. Have you had cyano algae yet? I would run lights only for 8 hours max.I think you said you have metal hylides? 6-8 hours is more than enough.

17. OP
    OP
    snuggs86

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have T5 lighting and a actinic light. Ok what does the kalkwasser do?

18. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    First of all this kalkwasser is a calcium hydrxide which is very strong stuff you must be very careful when using this it is somewhat like a buffer if you will and boost cacium up in depleted systems I use about once a month just to balance my tank but I have found when using this product in the beginning stages of reef that it helps algael blooms from accuring its the dosing part that takes awhile do to a slow drip method which I use a IV bag from a saline soulotion from a hospital I got mine from a friend that works there you don't need the needles just the bag and tubing with the flow regulator.

19. angel_scout

angel_scoutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Cute!!

20. ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    a little late, but I didn't check this thread for a while. Your banded could have killed your cleaners. That happened to all of my cleaners before I removed my banded shrimp. Now I have over 4 cleaners and all are still fine.

For your algae, Increasing and maintaining Magnesium at around 1500 or so helps remove and prevent nuisance algae from growing IME.