stock list for a 50 gallon

snuggs86

Hey.
I am currentley starting my first reef tank. Here is a stock list of fish I am hoping to eventually place in a 50 gallon tank with LR.

2 Clowns
Either lemonpeel or flame angel
1 firefish

Is this an ideal starting list and how many more would I be able to add if any?
Also with the LR is there a set amount I need?

Would really appriciate your help.

Thanks

Stang Man

snuggs86 said:
Hey.
I am currentley starting my first reef tank. Here is a stock list of fish I am hoping to eventually place in a 50 gallon tank with LR.

2 Clowns
Either lemonpeel or flame angel
1 firefish

Is this an ideal starting list and how many more would I be able to add if any?
Also with the LR is there a set amount I need?

Would really appriciate your help.

Thanks
Clowns dedend on what type. flame angels are a lot more tolerent than peels and fire fish need to have more than 3 or 4 they school together.

ATP

Make sure to add the flame last. He's a bit territorial and agressive.

I think the firefish is prefed to be in a school, but not needed. They do fight a little if they're in schools, but just a little bit. THe fights also depend on what size of tank you have. Yours shouldn't be that big of a problem.

snuggs86

thanks guys. am I limited to corals with any of these fish? I am going with the flame angel, 2 clowns and hopefully 3 firefish.
wont be for awhile yet tho as my live rock had just gone in approx 20kg. Is this to much or not enough? I ve has so many people say to add 1kg for every 10litres but then others says it dnt matter. so your help with this would be great.

thanks

Sarrixx

What sort of clowns are you going to go for? Dwarf angels (such as the flame and lemonpeel) can be prone to nipping at corals and clam mantles. From what I understand the Lemonpeel is very prone to nipping at corals but the Flame is a lot less prone to it.

What really deciphers the kinds of corals you can keep is your lighting and flow. So what sort of lighting are you putting over the tank? And what sort of powerheads or pumps or whatever have you got in your tank?

snuggs86

I ve got Lighting T5 Triphosphor 7100k 2 x 24w
Lighting T8 Marine Blue 2000k 1 x 15w and 1 x 20w
protein skimmer Aqua One AT80 1200L/hr

I think I ve decided on
2 ocellis clown
2 firefish
flame angel
maybe gobies but entirely sure yet.

Sarrixx

snuggs86 said:
I ve got Lighting T5 Triphosphor 7100k 2 x 24w
Lighting T8 Marine Blue 2000k 1 x 15w and 1 x 20w
protein skimmer Aqua One AT80 1200L/hr

I think I ve decided on
2 ocellis clown
2 firefish
flame angel
maybe gobies but entirely sure yet.
With those lights I would limit the corals kept to Soft Corals and LPS.
Protein Skimmer doesn't count much for flow, do you have any powerheads (pumps that you attach to the inside of the DT) in the tank?

snuggs86

yer but no idea what sort it is. The tank I have came with all the equipment attachted already. The guy at the LFS says its a begginers marine reef tank.
As for the corals I d already decided on mainly softs from taking to people in the corals part of the forum.

snuggs86

my clean up crew is now in. I have banded boxing shrimp, 4 red leg hermits (1 died last night) so now only have 3. 12 turbo snails, 5 cerith snails and 2 cleaner shrimp. apart from the one hermit they all seem to be doing well. the boxing has found a nice little cave at the back of the tank and hardly cames out. the 2 cleaners are now on the other side of the tank to the boxing. the snails are just everywhere at the min including on the glass.
I will post pics as soon as I find my use cable.

snuggs86

pics of one cleaner shrimp and the boxing shrimp.

ATP

nice. did you get any astrea? they're the one that clean glass and they alsos clean rocks.

Note that the banded shrimp is not actually a CC. It steals foods from corals and its also aggressive to other srhimps. The banded is an ornamental shrimp.

ATP,

snuggs86

no I didnt yer I know about the banded shrimp but so far hes been ok he spends most of his time behind the rocks on the opposite side to the other shrimps.
my turbos seems to like climbing the glass. I have 4 at the top just under the water level.

ATP

When I use to have mine, They chase each other at night so maybe look at it when your lights are out

snuggs86

yer I ve sat in the room when lights out and they still just ignore each other.

snuggs86

ok so 2 clown fish added today. will post pics when they are settled.

Sarrixx

That's awesome man, its cominmg along nicely. Can't wait to see pics of the clowns!

snuggs86

they so fast lol. pics always come out blurry. will be trying again this afternoon.

snuggs86

heres some picks of the clowns which I ve decided to called pebbles and bambam

Stang Man

By the looks of your tank you need a sea hare to rid the hair algae! FYI! Or even turbos with emerald crabs!Or al of the above.

snuggs86

I have 12 turbos at the min. It has been getting slighty better this week. I was thinking about maybe adding a few more turbos but wasn't sure if this would be the best thing to do.

Stang Man

Yeah I would say get a few more turbos and maybe a half dozen hermits or a few emarald crabs.

snuggs86

I have 3 hermits as afew died after afew days of being in the tank. can I have emarald and hermits together? I am going to get more turbos but won't be for a week or so.

Stang Man

Yes you can I have 6 and 2 emaralds with 3 turbos now that my tank is established.

snuggs86

ok. thanks.

Stang Man

Not a problem!

carlos413

I ve had bad luck with hermits. Blue and red ones. Even if I place a few empty shells they always seem to go after my snails. I have a 55 gallon and in the first few months my tank went threw some algae blooms. I change my water once a week 10 gallons at a time watch how much I feed and lights on for 8.5 hours and now it's almost all gone.

Stang Man

Yeah once hermits get hungry they will attack turbos just feed them sinking pelets once in a while and the will do fine together.

snuggs86

I lost a hermit another one. they dnt seem to do well in my tank . I lost one of my cleaner shrimps as well. so this week is not a good one so far. I got 2 more turbos and they all seem to be doing well. All my paras are fine and I do a water change once a week at the minute. my lights are on for 9hrs so mayb I ll try reducing them to 8hrs.

Stang Man

snuggs86

all tests are coming back fine I take samples of water to LFS and they test it for me at the moment as I thought I was doing it wrong but they say nothing is wrong and everything is fine. my salinity was a little high the other day at 1.027 but I just added plain RO water to bring in back to 1.025. The fish are doing fine and the boxing shrimp is fine the other cleaner is fine to. The corals are growing and lookng good. I ve lost 3 hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 turbos since adding them on 24.04.
This is all the information I know about my tank and what's in it on this website.

Stang Man

So what cleanup crew do you have currently?

snuggs86

1 cleaner shrimp, 2 red leg hermits, and appox 13 turbos.

snuggs86

just found my cleaner has died . I really don't know why all my paras are fine everything is working fine. I did my last water change last week. The fish seem to be happy and fine. My boxing shrimp is doing good, he comes out for feeding time and at night. The corals are still growing, GHA getting better.

Stang Man

Okay so this is the only thing I can think of is if you are using RO water and the tank has not been set up long enough and is still going thru the reef cycle and with hare algae. are you using kalkwasser calcium? If not get some and I will tell you what to do> Okay so alkilinty is at? and test ph in the evening when sun goes down . You need to get a sea hare like I said awhile back first!!! This is what will do wonders to your tank at a rapid pace are you with me? the turbos will not be able to get it all and my next question is how many hours and what is your timers at?

snuggs86

ok. the tank was set up for 3 months before I added any livestock and had done a full cycle with the live rock and coral sand in. I am not using kalkwasser calcium. ok sea hare I will be getting tomorrow hopefully my LFS didnt any in when I last went so they have ordered one in for me. My lights are on anything from 8-9 hours.

Stang Man

Hopfully they have one available. Once the hare is in and starts to do it's job then I would recommend that you use kalkwasser in a slow drip method but only after most hair algae has been cleaned up by hare. Have you had cyano algae yet? I would run lights only for 8 hours max.I think you said you have metal hylides? 6-8 hours is more than enough.

snuggs86

I have T5 lighting and a actinic light. Ok what does the kalkwasser do?

Stang Man

First of all this kalkwasser is a calcium hydrxide which is very strong stuff you must be very careful when using this it is somewhat like a buffer if you will and boost cacium up in depleted systems I use about once a month just to balance my tank but I have found when using this product in the beginning stages of reef that it helps algael blooms from accuring its the dosing part that takes awhile do to a slow drip method which I use a IV bag from a saline soulotion from a hospital I got mine from a friend that works there you don't need the needles just the bag and tubing with the flow regulator.

angel_scout

Cute!!

ATP

a little late, but I didn't check this thread for a while. Your banded could have killed your cleaners. That happened to all of my cleaners before I removed my banded shrimp. Now I have over 4 cleaners and all are still fine.

For your algae, Increasing and maintaining Magnesium at around 1500 or so helps remove and prevent nuisance algae from growing IME.

snuggs86

ok thanks. the banded used to ignore them. he stays at the other end of the tank to what the cleaners where at. He d come out at night but still stay at the one end of the tank. I really don't want to get rid off him. I was thinking of getting a smaller tank to put him in with afew fish, but don't really have the room to do that. so at the moment I don't have anymore cleaners.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom