stock list for a 50 gallon

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by snuggs86, Apr 4, 2010.

1. s

snuggs86 Valued Member Member

Hey.
    I am currentley starting my first reef tank. Here is a stock list of fish i am hoping to eventually place in a 50gallon tank with LR.

2 Clowns
    Either lemonpeel or flame angel
    1 firefish

Is this an ideal starting list and how many more would i be able to add if any?
    Also with the LR is there a set amount i need?

Would really appriciate your help.

Thanks

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Clowns dedend on what type. flame angels are a lot more tolerent than peels and fire fish need to have more than 3 or 4 they school together.

3. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Make sure to add the flame last. He's a bit territorial and agressive.

I think the firefish is prefed to be in a school, but not needed. They do fight a little if they're in schools, but just a little bit. THe fights also depend on what size of tank you have. Yours shouldn't be that big of a problem.

4. OP
    OP
    s

thanks guys. am i limited to corals with any of these fish? i am going with the flame angel, 2 clowns and hopefully 3 firefish.
    wont be for awhile yet tho as my live rock had just gone in approx 20kg. Is this to much or not enough? i ve has so many people say to add 1kg for every 10litres but then others says it dnt matter. so your help with this would be great.

thanks

5. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

What sort of clowns are you going to go for? Dwarf angels (such as the flame and lemonpeel) can be prone to nipping at corals and clam mantles. From what I understand the Lemonpeel is very prone to nipping at corals but the Flame is a lot less prone to it.

What really deciphers the kinds of corals you can keep is your lighting and flow. So what sort of lighting are you putting over the tank? And what sort of powerheads or pumps or whatever have you got in your tank?

6. OP
    OP
    s

i ve got Lighting T5 Triphosphor 7100k 2 x 24w
    Lighting T8 Marine Blue 2000k 1 x 15w and 1 x 20w
    protein skimmer Aqua One AT80 1200L/hr

I think i ve decided on
    2 ocellis clown
    2 firefish
    flame angel
    maybe gobies but entirely sure yet.

7. Sarrixx

With those lights I would limit the corals kept to Soft Corals and LPS.
    Protein Skimmer doesn't count much for flow, do you have any powerheads (pumps that you attach to the inside of the DT) in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    s

yer but no idea what sort it is. The tank i have came with all the equipment attachted already. The guy at the LFS says its a begginers marine reef tank.
    As for the corals i d already decided on mainly softs from taking to people in the corals part of the forum.

9. OP
    OP
    s

my clean up crew is now in. i have banded boxing shrimp, 4 red leg hermits (1 died last night) so now only have 3. 12 turbo snails, 5 cerith snails and 2 cleaner shrimp. apart from the one hermit they all seem to be doing well. the boxing has found a nice little cave at the back of the tank and hardly cames out. the 2 cleaners are now on the other side of the tank to the boxing. the snails are just everywhere at the min including on the glass.
    i will post pics as soon as i find my use cable.

10. OP
    OP
    s

pics of one cleaner shrimp and the boxing shrimp.
    724.jpg
    725.jpg

11. ATP

nice. did you get any astrea? they're the one that clean glass and they alsos clean rocks.

Note that the banded shrimp is not actually a CC. It steals foods from corals and its also agressive to other srhimps. The banded is an ornamental shrimp.

ATP,
    :;f:;fr:;fg

12. OP
    OP
    s

no i didnt yer i know about the banded shrimp but so far hes been ok he spends most of his time behind the rocks on the opposite side to the other shrimps.
    my turbos seems to like climbing the glass. i have 4 at the top just under the water level.

13. ATP

When I use to have mine, They chase each other at night so maybe look at it when your lights are out

14. OP
    OP
    s

yer i ve sat in the room when lights out and they still just ignore each other.

15. OP
    OP
    s

ok so 2 clown fish added today. will post pics when they are settled.

16. Sarrixx

Thats awesome man, its cominmg along nicely. Can't wait to see pics of the clowns! :)

17. OP
    OP
    s

they so fast lol. pics always come out blurry. will be trying again this afternoon.

18. OP
    OP
    s

heres some picks of the clowns which i ve decided to called pebbles and bambam :)
    50.jpg
    51.jpg
    52.jpg

19. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

By the looks of your tank you need a sea hare to rid the hair algae! FYI! Or even turbos with emerald crabs!Or al of the above.

20. OP
    OP
    s

i have 12 turbos at the min. It has been getting slighty better this week. I was thinking about maybe adding a few more turbos but wasnt sure if this would be the best thing to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice