Stock it :) 55 Gallon Tank

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well after my entire tank got wiped out when I went out of town I finally have things calmed back down. I'm wanting to look into actually figuring out a stocking list before I just start stocking it (I'm a terrible impulse shopper).

I plan to start stocking VERY slowly.

My readings yesterday after I did a 50% water change were....
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrate 5ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm

The main reason I want to stock slow is just due to my nitrates being so low.

Current tank stock includes...
    -2 Turbo Grazer Snails
    -3 or so Margarita Snails
    -3 or so Nassarius snails

I also plan to add a couple more pieces of live rock as well.

The stock I want things I can't have in my reef. Or things I don't have in my reef.

As of now I am planning on adding a trio of chromis on monday.

Then I am a little up in the air as to what else I want. I would love a pair of these snowflake occellarius clowns that we have at work but I already have clowns in my other tank. I'm considering maybe adding them anyways but we'll see.

Then I want an angel of some sort. I already have a coral beauty in my reef so I'm kind of wanting something else. I like flames and keyholes so I'm not sure which one I like more?

I also kind of want a fuzzy dwarf lion

Suggestions?

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Here's few thoughts.

Flamehawks are cool and intriguing - mine is mad as a box of frogs, but very personable. Caution with inverts though!

Lawnmower blenny/goby - but needs algae to survive. Very cute, and interesting to watch - they change colour a bit like a chameleon.

Pyjama Cardinals

Bangaii Cardinals

Fire Goby

Six Line Wrasse (should be able to get away with one in a 55) - but add last, can be territorial.

Just off the top of my head

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking about a school of cardinals in the reef and am actually not a fan of 6 lines. If I were to do that I'd probably do a Fairy wrasse of some sort.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

@mike

I think I am going for the green ones I'm not sure I'm debating them or the blue reef chromis (the ones with the black lines on the top and bottom of them). My only thing is the store that has them only has two :(

All of my anthias always die! I can get the females to live for about 9 months to a year but then they die and the males never seem to want to eat. I only had one who ate well and like the females he died in about 9 months. I have gotten them from different stores tried feeding many different things and I think the stock of them we get around here just get bad stock of them.... I do love them tho. Its just depressing to think about how much money I've thrown into anthias and them just die :(

I love royal grammas we use to have one in my reef I forgot all about them. I do like that idea for the tank. They are super pretty. I'm debating a psuduechromis because I heard they are nicer?

I've never owned firefish I will have to look them up :)

7. Harrison Member Member

school of green chromis
    pair of cardinals
    leopard wrasse
    pair of snowflakes
    flame angel

:)

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Snowflakes as in eels? Those total weird me out if so plus I don't think a 55 is big enough for them. I've seen some pretty big ones. I thought cardinals liked to school too? Sorry I'm super confused hahah

9. Harrison Member Member

no i ment snowflake clownfish lol i dont like the eels myself! cardinals are aggressive and should only be kept it mating pairs from my research the banggai ones are mouth brouders aswel :p cool dont you think!

10. Harrison Member Member

which cardinals was you thinking of becasue some are good schooling fish and some agressive which species...?

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I really like the pajama ones and the black and white striped ones

12. Harrison Member Member

black and white striped ones are the bangaii, should only be kept in pairs of maybe 3's with 1:3 male to female ratio, when i start to stock im thing of a pair of these there long thins and colours are amazing in my opinion :) whens your tank going to be ready?

13. Harrison Member Member

pajama ones are more peacefull and can be kept in large numbers depends what colour u exactly want to go for :)

H

14. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My tank is ready now I just want to add slowly. I keep checking and my readings aren't fluctuating at all.

15. Harrison Member Member

just have to make your decision haha

16. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well I am about 95% sure that on monday I will be adding a small school of around 3 reef chromis. The rest I am still debating. I want to stock super slow so I have lots of time to make decisions.

17. Harrison Member Member

slow and steady is the way ive been told, i get my tank next week :) gonna take my time aswel,will be cool can share pics of our tanks as we will be around the same stages :) reef chromis are cool little fish update some pics when you do

18. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Leopard wrasse is a tough fish to keep alive. Beautiful, but sensitive and can be tough to get eating.

If you want a VERY cool angelfish that is sexually dimorphic, can be housed in pairs, and is a deeper water species (so would NOT appreciate reef lighting), Genicanthus watanabei is one of my all time fav's. It's reef safe, it just doesn't like bright lighting.

19. Harrison Member Member

They need much larger tank than a 55gallon though more like 125gallon and prefer a deep water tank

20. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Um, a FOWLR with subdued lighting could very well simulate a deep water tank. I disagree on the minimum tank size but ok.