5 Gallon Tank stock ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 5.5g tank that will soon be vacant. It has a betta in it now but wasn't really happy with him, and he is a WIMP. I am selling him next week and he will have a female companion so he will do just fine. In the mean time I'm looking for other ideas what can be housed in there. It is fully cycled for a few months now so no worry there. Any suggestions are welcome

OP
T

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's involved in taking care of a puffer? The tank is heated and has an AC20 on it.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5.5G is really tough to stock, as most species will outgrow the tank.

You could consider the following (not all together though )
Betta Splendens x 1
Betta Imbellis x 1
x 3-5
Just about any form of Shrimp
A school of Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could probably make a nano type of setup with some really tiny fish like Danio margaritatus (AKA Microrasbora galaxy AKA celestial pearl danio) or Danio erythromicron (AKA Microrasbora erythromicron AKA emerald dwarf rasbora). Or you could make it a shrimp tank -- red cherry shrimp are cheap and easy to breed.

Still curious about the "wimp" comment. Will also second e_watson that if the betta's future home is with a female, they're going to tear each other to shreds.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would personally say no to the neons, and heck no to the guppies - not enough swim space.
Well then I guess I'm stumped because I even hit up google for this one and pretty much the only thing I've found that'd be suitable in a 5 gallon is bettas and about 3 guppys. I still personally think they'd do just fine, I'd go for 3 males just because then you wouldn't have fry swimming around in there as well and they're much prettier. But I've always heard guppys will do fine in such a small tank. I've never really seen a super active guppy regaurdless. I've had them in a 10 gallon tank as well as a 45 that I use to have and yes they swim around but 5 gallons would be plenty of room for 3.

I guess it's all personal opinion then because I've read it both ways now, er well you're the first to say no so idk

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
5.5G is really tough to stock, as most species will outgrow the tank.
Actually, I would politely disagree.

1. 1x male dario dario, 4x female dario dario*

2. 50x RCS (red cherry shrimp)

3. 1x ADF (African dwarf frog)

4. 30x tiger shrimp

5. 1x vampire shrimp

6. 1x crayfish*

7. 1x male sparkling gourami, 2x female sparkling gourami

8. 10x any type of nerite snail

9. 5x mystery snails

10. 1x large apple snail

11. 5x galaxy microrasboras aka pearl danios

12. 3x galaxy microrasboras aka pearl danios, 1x hara hara*

13. 30x ghost/glass shrimp

14. 1x dwarf puffer

15. 1x paradise fish*

16. 5x freshwater clams*

17. 2x shell dweller cichlids*

18. 10x Amano shrimp

19. Grow-out tank for fish fry

20. And of course: THE BETTA!

*I'm not sure if these will work or not, can someone tell me?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice list, Elodea. I just have some links/info to share on a couple of the ones you asterisked.

I think a crayfish needs 10g or more. See:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article40.html
http://www.crayfishfacts.net/crayfish_care/crayfish_care.html

16. 5x freshwater clams*
I've read that freshwater clams are hard to keep alive. The people at Wet Web Media appear to totally hate the idea of them in freshwater aquaria: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwbivalves.htm

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well then I guess I'm stumped because I even hit up google for this one and pretty much the only thing I've found that'd be suitable in a 5 gallon is bettas and about 3 guppys. I still personally think they'd do just fine, I'd go for 3 males just because then you wouldn't have fry swimming around in there as well and they're much prettier. But I've always heard guppys will do fine in such a small tank. I've never really seen a super active guppy regaurdless. I've had them in a 10 gallon tank as well as a 45 that I use to have and yes they swim around but 5 gallons would be plenty of room for 3.

I guess it's all personal opinion then because I've read it both ways now, er well you're the first to say no so idk
IMHO-guppies and neons shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 20g. I personally consider a 10g too small for them as well. I've had both and they were much too active for anything smaller than a 20g.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Scarlet badis are REALLY hard to keep, and ONLY eat live foods.

Dwarf crayfish would would, but it's much too small for a regular cray. CPOs are gorgeous.

Freshwater clams are also very difficult to keep alive - there's just not enough food in the water for them.

A paradise fish is too big for a 5 gallon as well.

There are some killifish species that would do well in a 5, but only the small ones.

OP
T

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know specifically what tank he will be in, the guy buying him just said he recently got a female.

I don't mean to go too far offtopic here, but what do you mean your betta's a wimp? :shock:

A wimp that any bloodworm slightly over bite size he just leaves and swims away. Ready to rush his pellets and super tiny blood worms but anything else he looks at then swims away.

OP
T

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a regular length of blood worm he doesn't bite it he just looks that's it. There was a clump of them I put it in my 30g and my bloodfins tore it apart. I had a betta years ago and it had no problem eating them.

OP
T

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the look of the dario's defiantly different. Read conflicting numbers to how many, can anyone clarify that?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nice list, Elodea. I just have some links/info to share on a couple of the ones you asterisked.

I think a crayfish needs 10g or more. See:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article40.html
http://www.crayfishfacts.net/crayfish_care/crayfish_care.html

I've read that freshwater clams are hard to keep alive. The people at Wet Web Media appear to totally hate the idea of them in freshwater aquaria: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwbivalves.htm
Thanks, midthought. If I'm not mistaken, the clams must have a continuous supply of green, algae and infusoria filled water to nourish their feeding needs. So yes, they'll probably be VERY hard to keep alive.

Dario dario are very hard to raise, too, but I think that raising and feeding them newly-hatched brineshrimp and small mosquito larvae should do the trick. Maybe it's possible to wean them onto frozen foods later.

I think the ratio should be 1 male to every 4-5 females, from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom