Help Stock for a 55 gallon tank

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best to have just one DG per tank as they get rather territorial & aggressive with each other. You might get away with two, maybe. The RTS might be a bit too aggressive for Swords & Platies but I'll let other members advise you on that one.

Siamese Algae Eaters are fantastic & so are Otocinclus Catfish. Otos stay well under 3" & SAE usually get to about 4-5".

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've been doing research on the algae eaters and the bristlenose pleco is seems to be the best. They don't get too big, I think 4-6" and unlike many of the pleco's, they continue to eat algae thru out their entire life. I'm getting one in about 1-2 months when my tank is settled.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Bristlenose Pleco, and even though its mostly nocturnal, it is a very cool fish. The bristles of my pleco's nose are have grown so much since I got her, she almost looks like a rhino or has reindeer antlers hanging off her head. They should stay between 4-6 inches and I've read and other posters will say that they need driftwood. I don't have driftwood in my current tank, so I feed her algae wafers and she absolutely loves them.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
As for the BN, having a piece of bogwood helps their digestive system and feeding them fresh veggies besided algae wafers like a slice of zuccinni boiled for about 2 min. to soften it up and it will then sink. They love it!

As for the RTS, they are an aggressive fish when they get bigger and I do not recommend keeping them with a Dwarf Gourmai or any other small fish as they will chase them. The best fish to keep with them are active and not too small. I've been successful with Giant Danios as they are fast and grow to approx. 4-5". They are only about 2-2.5" now and I have no problems.

Last edited:

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that a RTS is not a good choice for the few fish you picked out. But some other options on algae control would be maybe a group of otos or some other plecos that stay small are Clown plecos, and Rubber lip plecos.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bristlenoses are cool fish. Clown Plecos are cool to but only eat a decent amount of algae when they are young. BN's are particularly good for eating diatoms, Otos for green algae (not hair) & SAE are good for eating many forms of hair algae. Rather than rely on an algae eater to keep algae under control though, it would be best to try to avoid algae becoming a problem in the first place. Only keep any algae eater if you really want the fish because you think it's a cool fish. What ever you get, avoid Chinese Algae Eaters, they are useless algae eaters when they get older & are a nasty fish with a bad temper.

Jrobber, if your BN has bristles all up the centre of it's nose & around it's eyes, she is a he. Females only have the bristles around the mouth & they stay much shorter than the males bristles, which extend from around the mouth up the centre of the snout almost to the top of it's head.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK looks like a Red Tail is out. Poor thing don't get along with anything.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom