stock for 125 gallon tank

1. convict15 Member Member

im wanting to get a tank somewhere from 100-150 gallons and was wondering if i could keep oscars, jack dempseys, and convicts all in here and if so how many of each could i have in there. i dont want to have more than 2 or 3 oscars i want mainly jacks and convicts. thx

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Personally I wouldn't keep all those cichlids together. I would go for JDs and Oscars in that tank. Two of each would be pretty much stocked in my opinion. If you went with just Oscars I'd say you might be able to get away with 5-6 (depending on size and dimensions of the tank). But you can't do that with JDs because Oscars, in my experience, are much more social than JDs. But you could do that with Electric Blue JDs. They are less aggressive and live together peacefully. I have a friend who keeps 6 in a 120g I think. But you couldn't keep the Oscars with the EBJDs because the EBJDs would get beat up. You might be able to keep Convicts with EBJDs though!

What do you think?

3. convict15 Member Member

would green terrors and jacks work together if so how many could i get. also i have a 40 gallon breeder and i know convicts are relativly small how many convicts could i have in a 40 breeder. thx

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hm... GTs and JDs may work together. It has for me. I would say no more than a pair of each. They both get pretty big. Have you considered a pair of JDs and then having some large schooling fish like Giant Danios?

Two pairs of Convicts can go in a 40g breeder but I would start out with one and just let the babies stay in that tank and fend for themselves. You'll definitely get some adults from that.

5. convict15 Member Member

thanks for the help im probably going to start the 40 gallon convict tank soon but i dont hink i can start the big tank yet. thx