Stock Compatibility For 180l Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ashleigh7815, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ashleigh7815New MemberMember

Hi all,

I need some help.

We have a 180L freshwater tank with the current fish - x3 angels, x1 plecostomus, x1 albino catfish, x2 cory catfish, x9 gouramis (x1 moonlight, x1 gold, x1 pearl, x1 red, x2 neon blue, x2 powder blue, x1 yellow) and a red tailed shark.

I have recently noticed one of my angels has been attacked, its fins are looking rather diminished. But I haven't seen any other fish attacking it.

Anyone know out of the fish we have who the likely culprit might be?

All the fish are reasonably small as we only started the tank in October last year and got everything very small.

I have seen the shark chase the other fish at times but that's it.

Also we are thinking of adding some swordtails, would this be ok?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. RipCityReaperNew MemberMember

My red tail never nips he'll chase but not nip lol I'm pretty sure its one of the gourami they can be aggressive

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

3 Angels isn't a good number. Usually 2 will pair up and bully the other to death.
    Cories need to be in groups of 6+
    It's really not recommended to keep different types of gourami together.

What type of pleco and albino catfish?
    What genders are your neon blue and powder blue gouramis?

Sharks do get more aggressive as they age but in this case I would guess it was the other angels.

You could add a swordtail but I would sort out the current stocking issues first.

4. Ashleigh7815New MemberMember

Thanks for your reply. We were told as long as we had odd number of angels they would be fine. How annoying! The cories we have are juli's, does this make any difference?
    The pleco is a common pleco and the albino catfish is a albino bristlenose catfish.
    And as for the genders of the gouramis I'm not sure. How do you tell? They don't seem to have any obvious differences (similar in size and colours)

Thanks again

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Julii cories need cooler water than angels but yeah all cories need groups of 6+ of their own kind. Could you swap them for 6+ albino, bronze or sterbai cories? As the RTS gets older I'd be worried about him bullying other bottom dwellers though.

Common plecos get to 2 feet long and need 180 gallons minimum. Bristle nose plecos need cooler water than angelfish. Could you swap the BN for a clown pleco?

Your gouramis are probably males then. Females are rarely sold and are a drab grey brown colour. Males are usually very aggressive to one another.

1,2 or 4+ angels is fine, just not 3. In your tank size I'd stick to 1 or 2.

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the dimensions of your tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice