Stock Check Request #825207

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

Any feedback on this setup for a 30 gallon planted tank would be fantastic. Thank you!

Black Ruby Barbs x8
    Espe's (Lambchop) Rasboras x10
    Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami x1
    Red Wag Platy x1

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

The fish themselves work. I might decrease the number of the Barbs to 5 or 6. The platy would prefer to have a friend, but not necessary.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think 8 barbs is good. Less than that, and you risk them getting stressed. More is better, if you have the room.

4. MattS99

Any particular plants you had in mind?

5. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Thank you both for the information. I will definitely consider another platy as I think I can squeeze it in. Matt here is an image of my tank and these are the plants:

Back left: Sword Kleiner Bar (Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar')
    Front left: Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana)
    Front left center: Cryptocoryne petchii (another one right behind it)
    Across the back: Anacharis (Egeria densa)
    Back right: Ludwigia Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)
    Front right: Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
    Front right center: Cryptocoryne undulatus
    Center: Marsilea hirsuta

6. MattS99

Looks like it's coming along quite well!

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That would be fine but it lacks bottom dwellers. Remind me of the tank dimensions?

8. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Anders247 the tank is 30 gallon - 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4

I was looking at some Julii Cories but they are like 2 inches long and if I get 6 (recommended) that's 12 inches of fish I can't spend elsewhere. They also to have some additional oxygenation and cleaning needs that I wasn't really prepared for and finally I was worried about my eco-complete being too sharp. I figure maybe I'll throw in a golden apple snail or two for some interest on the bottom. I would be happy to consider any suggestions you might have. Thank you!

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You really need to stop worrying about the inch per gallon rule, it is completely useless and inaccurate. You can easily do the same stocking with 6-8 julii cories imo.

10. TexasDomer

Bottom feeders might uproot your plants; there's nothing wrong with leaving them out either.

11. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

What about some type of shrimp? They could help with food that falls to the bottom.

12. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

For a while there I was considering some red cherry shrimp but in the end they just seemed like too much of a pain. Everything eats their fry and lots of times.. the adults too. Would need to use algae wafers and such but the do give the bottom some interest.

13. oOBlueOo

I don't feed mine wafers. They pick at the plants and eat leftover fish food. If there's enough plant cover, the shrimplets do survive.

This is one of them
    [​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

oOBlueOo would you say they require any additional care? Did you have to put a sponge in your intake or anything? That may have been the final thing that put me off. I just put in an Eheim installation kit and I couldn't figure out a good way to keep the shrimp/fry from getting sucked up.

15. oOBlueOo

I have a pre-filter on the intake. I had issues where baby ghost shrimp would get sucked into the filter. I can't say if baby cherries would get sucked in.

Baby ghost shrimp are larvae and can't swim well. Baby cherries are born as mini adults.

Here's some pics of what I have. As you can see, my tank is a jungle. My filter is a medium Api filstar canister.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. MattS99

What about Amano shrimp? I had a few a while ago, decent algae eaters.

17. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

That's what I need right there is a filter sponge. Eheim has a prefilter but when I asked on here no one was able to tell me if it was "fine" enough to prevent fry from being sucked up.

I love your sponge though. Slip over the intake head and you're gtg.

18. oOBlueOo

I get mine right at petco. I can never find them at petsmart.

19. TexasDomer

You can also order no name prefilter sponges off Amazon or Ebay for much cheaper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice