Stock and compatibility? 10 Gallon Tank 

danio_mano

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all, im new to the aquarium scene and just need some help with stocking my tank. Ive got a 10g tank with 4 zebra danio's and 4 male guppies. How many more fish can i have? I really dont want to overstock the tank. Ive been looking at cory's @ my LFS and they seem cool. Ive read they need to be in groups of 4 at a min, is this true. Also ive got alpine spar as a substrate which is quite large & angular, so do i need to replace this with sand (will rinsed playpit sand be ok?) O ye and do I really need to buy sinking pellets/ algea wafers for the cory's?

Ammonium Nitrite Nitrate pH

0.25 0 20 7.5

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get the tank cycled first with daily water changes to keep the fish safe......and then I think you are maxed out if you are keeping all you have in there now....especially with 4 male guppies.....they will be sparring often with a 10g ....space is an issue and adding more fish will remove more space for them to have .....

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with shawnie, your biggest concern is to cycle that tank. Then once every thing is good think about finding a new home for either the danios or guppies and get 4 or 5 pygmy cory.

danio_mano

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You say my tank isnt cycled... not to sure what you mean, im reading minimal to no ammonium (colour yellow) no nitrite (colour pale blue) and nitrate readings... Does that not mean the tanks already cycled?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
danio_mano said:
You say my tank isnt cycled... not to sure what you mean, im reading minimal to no ammonium (colour yellow) no nitrite (colour pale blue) and nitrate readings... Does that not mean the tanks already cycled?
when you say .25 for ammonia, thats not a cycled tank....even minimal amounts is not cycled...if its truely yellow, then its not minimal its 0

danio_mano

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ye theres no sign of green in the test sample anymore. So have we been had over by the shop. They said the guppies would be alright, i thought it was a lil suspect myself...

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
again in my opinion from having an all male guppy tank, its not big enough as they will harass eachother.... and I still think in my opinion, the tank is maxed out with what you have now...but good luck no matter what you decide!

danio_mano

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help, dont know what to do now lol. Let the guppies live in harrasment or flush them (joke). Did a bit of research and id need 12 females to calm things down, and i dont think the tanks quite big enough for that. You obiously know your stuff and your advice isnt falling on deaf ears.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well the guppies look good but the danios provide life to a tank (goodness knows they have fun, all the splashes in the middle of the night haha!). Tough choice though! Unless you swap 3 males for 3 females. You'll get babies, but they will eat them if you don't want to save them and raise them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom