Stock an empty cycled 29 gallon

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds crowded. The neons will enjoy eating the CRS. I'd recommend a smaller number of neons unless you're including the number who won't make it--I've had a very tough time keeping them alive the first couple of weeks that they come home and only have had a 10% survival rate over the years I wouldn't say 15 would be plenty, taking into account the number of cories you want. Panda cories stay small, so that's what I'd recommend. Or you could do 10 neons and 5 honey gouramis (they're also sensitive and like softer water in my experience). If I were doing this again (yep, I did do a few variations of this some years ago) I'd go again with some ember and golden pristella tetras--8 or so each--plus the catfish. Have fun!

fengshui

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What other tetras are hardier and just as colorful and active as the neons and won't eat CRS?!

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would have to disagree with Neons eating the CRS. Neons are fairly small and have a very peaceful nature. From my experience, Neons do great with many shrimps, including the CRS. Your stock sounds good, just bring down the number of Neon Tetra. Do around 10 - 15 Neon Tetra, 6 - 8 Corydoras, and the CRS. That sounds good to me.

-Nik

TJBender

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd be more worried about the cories eating the RCS than I would neons.

Also, if you do go with panda cories, wait at least a month or more after the tank is cycled to add them. They're very finicky about water quality, and can die off quickly if it's not matured. Other smaller cory types like Juliis, false Juliis and peppered (among others) are much hardier.

fengshui

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the cories will eat the shrimp, than I'd rather have an army of them then a few cories...lol

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I as well disagree with the Cories eating the CRS. Cories aren't known to eat other smaller fish/inverts. Your CRS should be fine with the Cories and Neons IMO.

-Nik

fengshui

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So what fish now? That's easy to care for, hardy, colorful, Active, and schools/shoals

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can go with your original plan, like I suggested. Do around 10 - 15 Neon Tetra, 6 - 8 corydoras, and the CRS. That sounds good to me.

-Nik

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What other tetras are hardier and just as colorful and active as the neons and won't eat CRS?!
This is where you might have an issue. I figured my endlers livebearers, really tiny ones, would look pretty with my RCS. Well, they looked gorgeous until they started shoveling shrimp down their little throats. I'd be cautious.

I do successfully keep corys, both full-size and pygmy, otos and assassin snails with my rcs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom