Stirring up sand

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know I have stir up my sand substrate once a week to release trapped gases. My question is how do I do this with rocks in my tank. I have rocks over other rocks creating mini caves and some just in the sand. They cover most of the bottom of the tank.

So do I lift up the rocks and stir up the sand or just leave the rocks there?

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it's something that can't be moved, you can just kinda jab at the edges of it. I don't literally stir my sand. I jab and twist everywhere. Jabbing at the sand around the decor will release bubbles. If the decor can be moved, I lift it out, jab-twist, then set it back down.

...I'm not sure if my jab-twist explanation makes any sense outside my head.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know how often you have to stir up the sand.....I let the army of trumpet snails do the job. I don't purposely stir the sand more than a few times a year, to be honest.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
iloveengl said:
If it's something that can't be moved, you can just kinda jab at the edges of it. I don't literally stir my sand. I jab and twist everywhere. Jabbing at the sand around the decor will release bubbles. If the decor can be moved, I lift it out, jab-twist, then set it back down.

...I'm not sure if my jab-twist explanation makes any sense outside my head.
Yeah it made sense. I'll probably just have to pick up each rock.

I don't know how often you have to stir up the sand.....I let the army of trumpet snails do the job. I don't purposely stir the sand more than a few times a year, to be honest.
I think I have about 20 MTS. I never really see them though. I think it just gives me peace of mind when I stir it up.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishingman001 said:
I think I have about 20 MTS. I never really see them though. I think it just gives me peace of mind when I stir it up.
If you can SEE 20, then you probably have 200 MTS are like icebergs - only 10% are visable. The other 90% are in the gravel.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For those hard to reach places, try using a wooden skewer..... they work wonders.

Jaysee said:
If you can SEE 20, then you probably have 200 MTS are like icebergs - only 10% are visable. The other 90% are in the gravel.
too funny

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
I thought the MTS population only grows with overfeeding?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it grows uncontrolably with overfeeding. There is an inherent food supply for them in the tank - the population grows to reach equilibrium with the food supply.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
it grows uncontrolably with overfeeding. There is an inherent food supply for them in the tank - the population grows to reach equilibrium with the food supply.
Oh...I don't overfeed. Whatever food falls to the ground is eaten by the cory cats and pleco.

Maybe that's why I can't keep any MTS alive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom