Stirring up sand

fishingman001

Member
I know I have stir up my sand substrate once a week to release trapped gases. My question is how do I do this with rocks in my tank. I have rocks over other rocks creating minI caves and some just in the sand. They cover most of the bottom of the tank.

So do I lift up the rocks and stir up the sand or just leave the rocks there?
 

iloveengl

Member
If it's something that can't be moved, you can just kinda jab at the edges of it. I don't literally stir my sand. I jab and twist everywhere. Jabbing at the sand around the decor will release bubbles. If the decor can be moved, I lift it out, jab-twist, then set it back down.

...I'm not sure if my jab-twist explanation makes any sense outside my head.
 

Jaysee

Member
I don't know how often you have to stir up the sand.....I let the army of trumpet snails do the job. I don't purposely stir the sand more than a few times a year, to be honest.
 
  • Thread Starter

fishingman001

Member
iloveengl said:
If it's something that can't be moved, you can just kinda jab at the edges of it. I don't literally stir my sand. I jab and twist everywhere. Jabbing at the sand around the decor will release bubbles. If the decor can be moved, I lift it out, jab-twist, then set it back down.

...I'm not sure if my jab-twist explanation makes any sense outside my head.
Yeah it made sense. I'll probably just have to pick up each rock.

I don't know how often you have to stir up the sand.....I let the army of trumpet snails do the job. I don't purposely stir the sand more than a few times a year, to be honest.
I think I have about 20 MTS. I never really see them though. I think it just gives me peace of mind when I stir it up.
 

Jaysee

Member
fishingman001 said:
I think I have about 20 MTS. I never really see them though. I think it just gives me peace of mind when I stir it up.
If you can SEE 20, then you probably have 200 MTS are like icebergs - only 10% are visable. The other 90% are in the gravel.
 

LyndaB

Member
For those hard to reach places, try using a wooden skewer..... they work wonders.


Jaysee said:
If you can SEE 20, then you probably have 200 MTS are like icebergs - only 10% are visable. The other 90% are in the gravel.
too funny
 
  • Thread Starter

fishingman001

Member
Jaysee said:
If you can SEE 20, then you probably have 200 MTS are like icebergs - only 10% are visable. The other 90% are in the gravel.
I thought the MTS population only grows with overfeeding?
 

Jaysee

Member
it grows uncontrolably with overfeeding. There is an inherent food supply for them in the tank - the population grows to reach equilibrium with the food supply.
 
  • Thread Starter

fishingman001

Member
Jaysee said:
it grows uncontrolably with overfeeding. There is an inherent food supply for them in the tank - the population grows to reach equilibrium with the food supply.
Oh...I don't overfeed. Whatever food falls to the ground is eaten by the cory cats and pleco.

Maybe that's why I can't keep any MTS alive.
 
Top Bottom