Stinky Seashells

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by smileyguy3000, Apr 16, 2017.

1. smileyguy3000

smileyguy3000 Valued Member Member

I picked up some seashells for my Neos but they stink. I've boiled them for 15 minutes and rinsed but they still stink. Do i just try boiling them again? Is the stink bad for the fish or evidence of biological matter? There doesn't seem to be anything inside them. The shells are sea snail type but look like they've been dead for a while if there ever was anything inside them. Some are so broken there's so space for anything to get stuck inside.

2. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

If the shells smell like rotting fish or shellfish there's still some form of either hermit crab or snail matter left in it. You could try using a pressure nozzle on a hose to blow out the material. I use to do repeated freezing and thawing in a bucket of water(holds down some of the smell) for a day. After several weeks the remaining tissue can be blasted out with water pressure. If you live where there are fire ants bury the shells in an ant mound, fire ants will strip any soft fresh off.

3. OP
    OP
    smileyguy3000

smileyguy3000 Valued Member Member

Yeah i think I've narrowed it down to one shell thanks

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I drill holes in the end of all my shell dweller shells for initial decontamination and future cleaning. Once they've been bred and raised fry in multiple times they need cleaning. Without the hole its impossible to get the weak fry that get impacted into the furthest spirals and die. Plus all the detritus. If not using pvc I'd recommend drilling tthe shells.

Amazon has large bags of escargo (empty for presentation) shells that are the perfect weight and shape for the small dwellers. Theyre also very cheap compared to purchasing hermit crab shells or other "aquarium" shells. They also come in a couple colors mainly cream, tan, black. They're also precleaned and sanitary as they're held to a higher standard since they're for human consumption rather than shells in a pet shop/craft store

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice