Still trying to decide on a tank...

1. Ctammy2 Member Member

My small house is driving my crazy!! I would SO love a 55g or so. Plus I've seen a couple around that size come up used for decent (I think) prices.

Could a person have a tank below a tv that is mounted to the wall? :)
    What are all the problems that could cause?

Otherwise, do tanks come 28 or 29" long? My current 10g is sitting in the opening of the old tv stand. (Where the old-school tube tv used to sit.) The opening is only 29" wide. So I could go bigger than the 10g but how much would I actually gain?

At this point I have to keep the large old entertainment stand. My husband has a lot of "stuff". :D

My only other option is to move "Ozzy" the guinea pig, into a kids room. However that space is right in front of a north facing window. Never gets direct sunlight, but might still encourage algae growth? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Mortisha Member Member

Welcome to FishLore. My concern for placing the tank under a wall mounted tv would be evaporating water causing condensation build up in the tv then it could end up being a fire hazard. As far as the north facing wall, no direct sunlight is a good thing. Your gonna get algae growth no matter where it is....lol. If you do end up putting it there and you do notice that the sun is some how hitting the tank you can fix that by closing blinds or drapes during that time of day. I'm sure other members will weigh in on this.

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Adding on to Mortishas post, placing it under the tv will not only create a fire hazard but could possibly stress the fish with the light and sound coming from the tv.

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The bad thing about this post is it is giving me ideas of where I can put another tank. LOL

I think it is doable, if it is done correctly with a lot of caution. If you had a wood canopy on the tank, it would take care of all the hazard and disturbance of the fish problems. Perhaps you might have to have a fan that vented any moist air off to the side, away from any electronics.

5. FiscCyning Member Member

You could exchange the 10 gallon for a 20 tall, but none of the larger standard size tanks would fit in a 29" space. Maybe check the measurements of bowfronts since they can be different from the standard sizes.

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

If you see a Jebo 375 (roughly 40 gallon) tank for sale, it is precisely the size you are talking about. I am rather happy with mine although I had a problem with the plastic cover to the light after 5 years. It is one of those all-in-one setups with the lights and filtration built into a hood and comes with matching stand, and is bowfront, but glass not plastic.

7. Ctammy2 Member Member

Thank you. The condensation is definitely something to be concerned about. The other problem with that particular spot is it is closer to my wood stove. I worry about it getting too hot at times. (I'm cold blooded, so I keep the stove pumping when it's cold out.) ;)

Although the dryness of the stove would probably counteract some of the condensation. I just have concerns and obviously you guys do too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I would see if you can get a custom made job somewhere or get the glass cut to size and glue it together myself.

9. Mortisha Member Member

Yikes!! Don't wanna cook any fish....lol. You def have a dilemma on your hands.

10. neonblue1980 Member Member

i have the national geographic 23g tank sold at petsmart. however, its dimensions actually calculate a bit higher volume, around the 25 mark.

it isn't quite as big as a 29, but it's a gorgeous tank, it really is. it has a slightly bowed from with no trim up and down the sides to block your view of your fish. it's a good size for us because it sits neatly on a small table, and doesn't take up a lot of room in my otherwise small living room. it measures 30 by 12 by 18. i know it isn't quite as big as you're looking for, but if you want a smallish tank that looks pretty, this one is a real beaut.