Still new to the water changes

jestermac

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a couple of questions. The first is that when I'm changing the water, I notice the water is considerably colder than the tank water. Should I let the water acclimate to room temp? Right now I have no fish cause I'm trying to get my nitrogen cycle going. I also don't want to add too hot of water. Any suggestions?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when you have fish in there definitely get the water to the same temp before putting it in. If you are fishless then it's not as important, but obviously you dont want to put freezing or boiling water in as that will kill bacteria.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just adjust the temperature of the tap water to the temp of the tank. You'll get to the point where you can tell the temp to within a few degrees with your hand after a few million water changes

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just adjust the temperature of the tap water to the temp of the tank. You'll get to the point where you can tell the temp to within a few degrees with your hand after a few million water changes
Yup. I use a thermometer to make sure the water going in is the same temp as the tank.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i don't think im done a few million water changes yet ... although i use "marks" and thermometer when im not sure ..(marks- i marked up my 5g bottle, how high to fill with "hot" water, then the rest with cold, and its usually right on )..

oh and..... welcome to fishlore!!!!!!--- any ideas what to put in it yet ??

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it IS OK to warm the water on the stove and mix with tap water to the right temp??

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you don't have hot cold water?
no matter, yes if you had to, you could warm it on the stove,or fill a container and cover it(so no bugs or spores get in) and leave it out side on a warm sunny day.(using a black/dark colored container will heat the water faster)

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just adjust the temp of the water from your tap..... why boil or warm it? I do the same as others; I can feel it by hand to within 1 degree, or if I'm. Not sure ill use my tank thermo to check the tap temp.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom