Still learning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by littletuba, Dec 19, 2012.

1. littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

I have posted recently about wanting to have guppies, platys, and cherry shrimp all in one tank. Originally I thought I would only be able to have a 10 gallon but I quickly found out that was not a good idea. I have decided on trying to get a 15 possibly 20 gallon tank. I still want guppies, mickey mouse platys, and cherry shrimp but I'm not sure if this will be enough room or how many of each I can have. Also what would be better on the bottom of the tank, rocks or gravel and what color.
    Thank you so much for your help.

2. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Guppies would be fine. For the substrate, I find sand to be much easier to keep clean than gravel. Since guppies eat a lot and also produce a fair amount of waste, I would suggest either have sand or keep it a bare bottom tank, it's just so much easier. :)

3. OP
    OP
    littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

Thank you. Would you happen to know how many would be okay in a tank that size?

4. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum!

Keeping anything with RCS can be very iffy. You'd need lots of hiding places, rocks, driftwood, even plants for them to have even the smallest chance at survival. Personally I would set up a 2 or 3 gallon tank just for the shrimp.

Further, I would not keep both guppys and platys in the same tank. They can quickly multiply. Another option would be to keep an all male tank. Then you wouldn't need to worry about the offspring. But, if you have your heart set on a male/female mix, make sure to have 2 or 3 females for each male...and chose one or the other.

I agree that sand is a good option, especially considering the possibility of RCS.

Best of luck with the direction you decide upon.

5. M

Mark7A Valued Member Member

As I am learning, Platys may eat the shrimp.
    There are larger shrimp out there (Amano), but you still want to be cautious.

I am in the same boat as you by the way. Picking critters for my tank.
    I am opting for a small invert tank instead. (I may try an Amano to see how it goes....Shhhh)

6. m

I think it's best if you keep 8 males in there, if you decide to keep both sexes then you'll end up with lot's of fry and it'd get really crowded.
    I originally had male and female endlers(they're like smaller versions of guppies) in the same tank and they bred so much that whenever I looked into the tank, all I saw were these 5 giant fish and what looked like hundreds of tiny little fry. I Separated them and gave away the fry once they were big enough not to be eaten. guppies are bigger however and they can produce even more fry than female endlers.

7. c

chenay83 New Member Member

If you want to start out with a good amount of fish I would do 5 males of both species. Or if you are OK with them filling the tank themselves I would say 1male and 2 females of each. The shrimp should be okay but I would provide cover for them. If you want to go bare bottom or put sand on the bottom put some weighted artificial plants or Anubis. I never suggest gravel.

8. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I know littletuba IRL and we both have plans for getting rid of fry. We like the variety that livebearers provide. Some fry will be eaten by parents, some will be fed to my Betta, some will be fed to our friend's angelfish, and some will go to a local pet store. I've been telling her about java moss and everything. I'm getting java moss and as I understand, it grows REALLY REALLY fast, and she can't get her tank until after I do anyways, so she'll probably get plenty of java moss from me.

9. m

Sounds good. I'm glad you guys have this planned out already. Raising fry is lot's of fun! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice