Still in Process 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by bolivianbaby, Jan 4, 2013.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I've been "re-cycling" this tank for several months now. It contains about 40lbs of (almost) live rock and several inches of (almost) live sand. It went down due to neglect around a year ago.

I can't make up my mind about stocking.

Right now, I'm thinking valentini puffer, 2 oscellaris or percula clownfish, and a chalk basslet.

I am also considering the valentini puffer, 3 pajama cardinalfish, and a chalk basslet. However, I am concerned it will be overstocked.

The valentini puffer and chalk basslet are the 2 species I really want in the tank. Unless I pick a more aggressive species, I was going to add the basslet first and the puffer last. The other species was going to be added 2nd.

I may attempt some inexpensive palys and zoas to see if the puffer will leave them be, but that's up to the puffer. LOL!

What do our saltwater keepers think?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hi,

I'm not so great with stocking SW but I can tell you of a great product I found. It is called MicroBacter7 by Brightwell. It is basically like SW TetraSafeStart but better. I'm using it in my tank and most the corals that were closed have opened up. I talked to quite a few local reefers (most had been keeping for 20+ years) and all of them said that it was one of the best SW products on the market.

From everything I've read about puffers it sounds like they'd eat soft corals.

3. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Rogue!

I had seen a few places online where people said if the corals were there first, the puffers didn't touch them. Maybe I should just scratch the polys and zoas idea. That is going to make me really want fish with lots of color in the tank, though.

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hm.. I'm not really sure about stocking with the puffer but you could look into some six-line wrasses!! Or a leopard wrasse. I'm getting a couple six lines. I was planning on a leopard but they get bigger than I'd like and apparently need to be fed carefully at first. My Coral Beauty is such a ferocious eater that I can't feed carefully lol.

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi BB,
    I don't have direct experience with puffers/basslets, but reading a compatibility (take with a grain of salt)  

Suggests some caution be exercised when stocking them together. Clowns will be fine.

And I do like Rogue's idea of a SLW.

BTW - What size tank? IIRC 29 or 30?

6. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

It's the 29g. STILL not cycled:(. I think we're going on 4 months now. The parameters today were PH-8.2, ammonia-.50, nitrites-.25, and nitrates 10. I had done a water change a week ago hoping to "move things along". That's part of my problem with constantly looking at stocking and possibilities and changing my mind.

This is really starting to bother me. If it hasn't re-cycled within the next 4 weeks, I may be tearing it all the way down and trying to re-start it that way. I only check my parameters every 2 weeks so I'm not constantly fiddling with it and interfering with the natural cycle.

I've been putting a lot of faith in those compatibility charts for preliminary stocking thoughts. Good thing I'm verifying stocking possibilities with experienced SW fishkeepers.

7. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Do you have a protein skimmer? IMO the puffer and basslet should be fine in the tank as long as you have tons of hiding spots for them and as long as you target feed the puffer they should leave the corals alone. And was the LR and LS dry before adding to the tank? You could always use Bio-Spera(sp?) I heard it works really well to cycle the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

No, the LR and LS were wet and have stayed wet. Yep, I'm thinking Bio-Spira may be the way to go, although I hope I can do it without adding livestock.

Thanks, JessiNoel21!

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Bio Spira, Microbacter, Dr Tims One and Only - they're the three that seem to work.

Also, here's a thought.... how much live rock is in the tank? Maybe there's not enough surface are for bacteria to colonise :;dk

10. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

There is about 40lb of live rock. Can I add BioSpira without livestock?

11. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Yes you can a friend of mine use a jumbo shrimp got her local fish market in a brand new knee high she got at the dollar store and Bio-Spira. And her tank cycled in 2 weeks but than again she tested the day she started and than tested 14 days later to see if it cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice