Still can't make up my mind...

1. Toxic Dover Member Member

Hey guys - It's been a couple months since my last stocking suggestion thread, and my 30 gallon is ALMOST finished cycling... I've been doing a lot of "tank shopping" since then, and while I still want a tank centered around Angels, I want a pair (or two) with some other community fish, and I think that's sort of pushing it for a tank this size. So I think the Angel idea will wait until I get either a 55 or 75 gallon tank... Anyway, I've recently been thinking of doing a tank with a couple different types of Gourami. I really like the look of Opaline Gouramis and other larger Gourami variants... I'm not entirely sure if you can mix types of Gourami or not, though. I've heard mixed things. Also, what kind of tank mates would be suitable? My second idea would be to create a cichlid tank... Although, again, not entirely sure which ones can mix with which, and what tankmates would be good. So, my ramblings aside, anybody have suggestions for both gourami and cichlid centered tanks? Thanks! (tank is 30"L x 18"T x 12"W)

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Do Honey Gourami's! I have 2 in my 28 with some other fish and they have great personalities! great to watch

3. fighter55 Member Member

I agree with Landozer. Honey Gouramis are more docile than other gouramis and are so fun to watch! They are definitely an amazing centerpiece.

4. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

that's the same dimensions as my tank! i got it as a 29gal though, not a thirty. sorry this is off topic, i just think that's funny :p

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

If you want larger gouramis you can do a single opaline, blue or gold gourami or the honey gourami pair as suggested above. OR you could have 8 neon, cardinal or lemon tetras for a schooling fish. Also you could have 8 panda corys or 6 of the larger cory species for a bottom dweller.

If you want a cichlid tank I would do a firemouth and a convict cichlid with a bristlenose pleco or you could do a firemouth or convict pair with a bristlenose pleco. Or you could do a dwarf cichlid theme like 2 bolivian rams or 2 rainbow cichlids. Then you could have 8 tetras like the neons, cardinals or lemons. Then the corys for the bottom.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would do a single gourami and then maybe a school of catfish or bottom dwellers then a school of tetras or barbs and maybe a school of danios or hatchets? That way you have something occupying all levels of the tank and shouldn't run into aggression issues.

Maybe something like this....
    -1 Gold Gourami
    -10 Panda Cory cats or maybe kuhli loaches
    -10 Zebra danios -- maybe 5 regular zebras and 5 albinos?
    -6 Cherry Barbs (3m3f)

7. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

haha I have upside downcatfish and a clown pleco in with my two honey gouramis and everyone seems happy.

8. Toxic Dover Member Member

Well, I just did a water test and almost overnight, my nitrite levels have gone from neon-purple to nothing. I believe I'm cycled!! I'm gonna give it a few more days with ammonia just to make sure, but I think it's ready!

Now onto the next question... How do cherry barbs do in freshly cycled tanks? I just finished cycling my daughter's 10 gallon and a couple days ago I added a small group of neon tetras, and I'm finding out that they don't acclimate very well to unestablished tanks...

9. fighter55 Member Member

Cherry's a fairly hardy, so they should be OK. Just don't jump the gun and put in too many. Your bioload still hasn't acclimated.

10. Toxic Dover Member Member

Okay, sounds good. How many should I start with? I'll probably have somewhere between 8 and 10 cherry barbs when my stocking is finished...

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Id start with around 5 and go from there, give it at least a few days to a week to get the biomass to catch up

12. fighter55 Member Member

Agreed.

13. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I have to add, from personal experience, cardinal tetras do much better. I have six in my tank and with minimal water changes(i'm busy and forgetful) none have died in the past year. I can't say the same for when I had neons in my old ten gallon.

14. Toxic Dover Member Member

Okay... How does this stocking sound?

1 Angel (Yes, I know, the Angel is back)
    1 or 2 Bolivian Rams
    6 - 8 Cherry Barbs
    6 - 8 Rummy-nose Tetras
    6 - 8 Cory Cats OR Upside-down Catfish

I'm still hung up on the Angelfish... just 1, though... Not a pair. From everything I've read, Angels and Rams can live together with relatively little problem. Not sure that I have room for the Angel and a pair of Rams, though (thus the 1 or 2). Suggestions? Tweaks?

Thanks!

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My personal opinion is to choose either the cherry barbs or tetras to start with. Maybe add the other school in six months after the tank is very well established if your filtration can handle it.

Hope this helps.

16. fighter55 Member Member

Agreed.