Still battling staghorn algae

blushrimp1

I'm using excel, for a couple of months now, but I've had no results. In fact just recently this algae seems to be increasing. I have 2 sponge filters in this 10 gallon shrimp tank, on opposite sides of the tank to move the water. Lights on for 4 hours, off for 4 hours, back on for 4 hours. My plants are low light, christmas moss, crypts, some carpet plants.
Do you think the plants will be okay if I reduce light to only 6 hours, still with a dark period in the middle? Will that make any difference to this algae? Maybe I should get an airstone too?

blushrimp1

Well I guess no one has an opinion on this. Thanks anyway

KinderScout

Don't think an airstone will help. We've had a similar problem with hair algae and reduced our lighting to six hours at half strength for a couple of hours - waiting to see if that helps.
edit:
After one week plants looking OK and hair algae reduced. We also stopped ferts and added a phosphate filter - nor sure if that would help with staghorn. From what I've read it's notoriously difficult to sort out.
Further edit:
Try spot treating directly with Excel. Measure out a tank dose during a water change - use a small brush to paint any exposed staghorn after emptying out as much water as you can. After refilling, use a small syringe to use the rest to treat staghorn you could not reach.
Inbetween water changes, use the syringe to dose your tank directly onto any staghorn. Be careful not to overdose your tank. If the amount you use is too small to do this dilute with an equal amount of water first.
I've used this technique on BBA but hey - it always comes back eventually! :/

blushrimp1

Thank you so much for replying! Someone cares, lol! I'm going to have to give it a try, it's better than doing nothing at all. Good to know your plants don't seem adversely affected. Thanks again, have a great day!

KinderScout

LOL typed the reply a couple of days ago but got distracted and forgot to post! Been sitting on my browser since - hence the edits. Check my latest edit too and good luck!

kallililly1973

Can u post a pic. Also have u tried to manually remove the worst affected plants.or maybe do a complete blackout for a few days. I’ve never dealt with that algae but I know it’s a pain to get rid of.

blushrimp1

I go in once a week or so and remove all I can by hand. I have a lot of Christmas moss and it's full of staghorn! Some threads are like 10 inches long when I pull them out! I've also removed entire leaves from the crypts that have a lot of it on them. My tap water is very high in nitrates so with water changes I dilute it with RO bought at the store. I'm 64 so what with the virus now I have my groceries delivered and they don't do the water refills obviously so... pure tap now and maybe that's why the staghorn is increasing. I do have hornwort floating and a pothos plant with roots in the water to help get rid of the nitrates.
Anyway, just yesterday I did a manual staghorn removal so there's not a lot to see right now, or I would post a picture. I will have to try spot treating. It's a shrimp tank only so I hesitate to do a very large water change and paint the excel on, but I will shut the filters off and blast the worst spots with my syringe. Maybe even a blackout...! Thank you so much for your replies kallililly and KinderScout.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Colleen B
  • Algae
Replies
Views
toosie
Replies
Views