Still 2 much poop after aqueon siphon

1. joya

joya Valued Member Member

Need help with poop issues! Is it possible to put shrimp with red blood parrot, red tail loaches, & 2 cichlids (peacock & yellow lab) in 29 gallon

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

That wouldn't be a very good tank to add shrimp to. They will get eaten very quickly!

What kind of filter do you have, and how often do you vacuum the gravel?

3. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The shrimp would not stand a chance. I hate to say it, but all those fish you mentioned are too big for a 29. I'd be shocked if they don't start going at it sooner rather than later.

4. OP
    OP
    joya

Im rehoming 1 of the red tails. I figured this much, but I don't think hubby & I did a good job siphoning:(

I guess it's snail for me

My filter is a whisper i40

My cichlids are very small

5. April R

April R Well Known Member Member

snails are little poop factories. You only hope for a poo problem is more frequent vacuuming and building up enough of a beneficial bacterial bioload to eat up the sludge. Also, in my very over stocked 20 gallon, there is no poop problem because I have a ton of plants that use the poo for fertilizer. What kind of substrate do you have? How long has the aquarium been established?

6. Andrew Sackett

Andrew Sackett Valued Member Member

Blood parrots get the size of a grape fruit or bigger rehomimg him would help but even then you're over stocked

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    joya

Thanks guys for all your help. My intentions are to rehome the 2 red blood parrots & 1 red tail loach in a 55 gallon. My fish are on the small side right now. Only 1 of my rbp are a nice size.My 29 gallon tank have only been established for about 3-4 weeks now. Last Tuesday was my first water change, filter change,& vacuum. It was a 2 man job with the aqueon siphon with pump. We had a hard time getting the poop to flow down the tube and into the bucket instead it just floated around, but never siphon out. After stirring up the sand, we seen so much poop on top, so im going to vacuum again later today. I was wondering if I can get a lobster in my 55 gallon with my 2 rbp, & 1 rtl?

8. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

There really is no fish or invertebrate for an aquarium that will eat poop. Plants can help, but they still cannot replace actual water changes for removing fish waste. It seems like the main problem is infrequent water changes, as a tank should never go 3-4 weeks between water changes. Water changes are best performed weekly, or more frequently before a tank has completed the nitrogen cycle or if it is overstocked.

If you're having trouble siphoning, have you checked that nothing is blocking the siphon hose? Also, the bucket needs to be lower than the water level in the tank, so if they're close to the same height that can slow the water flow and prevent the siphon from pulling up the waste. If you do have sand bottom, not gravel, you don't really need to stir it up the way you do with gravel. With sand the waste sits on top instead of sinking down into it like with gravel. So unfortunately fish poop is more visible in sand bottom tanks.

9. OP
    OP
    joya

I really believe we didn't do a good job, because we was having difficulty with the siphoning. The bucket was lower than the water level. My husband said the hose is too long, but I don't think so. It was operator malfunction, lol. A couple of more tries, we will become pros.

10. Sayba

Sayba Well Known Member Member

I have only just got the hang of using my syphon and I've had my tank over a year haha.

I've found my hose is a little long, I just put what I don't need into the bucket and use a bit of duct tape to keep it in there (taping the hose to the bucket near the rim). Make sure the hose is dead straight leading up to the tank, when you need to move from one tank end to the other, just move the bucket with you.

I clean my tank on my own once a week, it's only a 20 gallon but I have a lot of snails and a crayfish in there, all are poop machines and this method works great. There is always a little bit of poop in there, I don't have many live plants (12 moss balls and 3 anacharis).

11. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You're OK. The bucket is supposed to be lower than the water level.

12. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Great advice above. Increased siphoning and water changes are really the only way.

In my Goldie tank I use a turkey baster a few times a day to remove poop and perform water changes every other day. It is an 85 gallon and I do 3x40% water changes per week, on my own. I use a standard vacuum siphon and a 10L bucket to remove the water. It takes a lot of time but it is the only way.xxx

13. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

You either have a back made of steel or a very good chiropractor!

To get the bulk of the water you could use a python

http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Or an Aqueon water changer

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/water-changer.htm

But yeah they aren't super fantastic at getting the poopies unless the faucet is on full force.

14. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have a toddler ;)

It's the quietest, most efficient way I have found. And I actually quiet enjoy it! Then I do my other 15 tanks :)

Get a turkey baster though, they're great at getting grobblies up if the suction isn't powerful enough.xx

15. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Its only been 24 hours and one side of my tank is covered in poop again :(

16. Sayba

Sayba Well Known Member Member

You could try to net the poop? Or give the siphon another try, just remember siphons work with gravity, think about that when working it. It sounds daft but when I used to use my siphon I had the hose pointing in the bucket and it was making a S shape, when I straightened the hose out it worked amazingly, the water I was getting in the bucket coming from below the sand was so mucky and dark. Just make sure what is coming from the tank is falling straight down the hose.

I agree with the turkey baster comment too, Hollie. I have one for getting out big poops and food. I can look at almost anything and think of 100 ways to use it for a tank.