Stick on Thermometer strips?? Question

1. bruiser Member Member

So I have a stupid question... or a series of stupid questions..

A tank I just got came with a thermometer strip on the side of it so I was wondering;

1 - Are They accurate?
    2- How do you read them? I'm looking at it right now, and theres 5 different temperatures lite up. (75,77 dark blue, 79 turquoise, 81 brown, 82 kind of an olive green.) I'm Lost...
    3- Do they wear out?
    4- If I just take it off, will it leave a residue on my tank? what could be safely used to remove any residue thats left behind??

Thanks a lot for any help!

2. ray_sj Member Member

The ones I have are from ATI, and they are pretty accurate, to within 1 degree. I've cross-checked them with the glass thermometers as well as a probe thermometer.

If the temperature matches one of the printed temps, it will be green. If it's in between, the lower temp will be indicated in blue, and the upper temp will be tan.

I don't think they wear out.. At least I've never seen one wear out. The newer ones are removable, and don't leave a residue. Not sure about the old ones. I'd try a razor blade, and then just try to get the old glue off with some sticky tape.

Hope that helps.

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

they are accurate if your room temp isn't extreme (very hot or very cold)
    having 5 different parts lighting up at once... not good normally there are three lit up(one dull bright dull, the bright one is the tank temp) so yours is probably worn out or some one tried to move and messed it up.... and if you take it off, sometimes it leaves stickies behind sometimes not... but seeing as its the OUTside of the tank you could pretty much use w/e to get it off, but if you use vinegar or a plastic knife or something you should be able to get it off and no worries, as long as you don't dump it in your tank its fine.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 ...GREAT explination as they can be very confusing!!
    i have one on one of my tanks..(it came with it on there) but i still run an underwater one..they are both always right on the mark with eachother..

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have one as well. I was paranoid about it, since I have an acrylic tank and not glass, so I got a probe one as well, and they both read close to each other (although the probe one is digital and easier to read, so I usually glance at that one.)

I think if you aren't 100% comfortable with it, you should leave it on and purchase another one - they aren't expensive. Then you'll have peace of mind and you'll have a backup in case one fails or you get a new tank.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I use the stick on tank thermometers myself. My cichlids like to move the "inside" tank thermometers. Then I can't read them without sticking my hand in the tank. they seem pretty accurate to me, although I don't have any proof of that.

7. ray_sj Member Member

I forgot to mention earlier.. If the stick on thermometer is in direct sunlight, it will give you a false reading (hotter than actual temp). It may also be why you see multiple temps lit up.

8. Elodea Well Known Member Member

You may also want to stick it on the opposite wall from your heater (if that makes any sense) to get more accurate results. If it's right next to your heater, it'll probably record the temperature around the heater, which is usually warmer than the rest of the tank.

9. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I have a strip one because it came with the tank but I bought the cheap glass ones from Wal-Mart. They got a little suction cup and are easy to read.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I have the stick on kind, but i had a hard time finding accurate ones, as some stopped reading after a while.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the Temperature section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

12. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i have had stick on and digital. the digital thermometers are by far the better of the two.

13. jclee Well Known Member Member

If you do decide to remove it (which I don't think you have to, but I know some people who don't like the aesthetic of the exterior thermometer), you can use lighter fluid to remove any residual glue on the glass. Lighter fluid is actually a fabulous glue solvent. Works wonders with getting dated tags off your car windshields, too.

Obviously, be careful about cleaning the exterior well and ensuring none of it winds up inside the tank.

14. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Whichever thermometer you use double check ( I use a kitchen thermometer to verify)
    My Coralife digital is 4-6 degrees off. Turning up your tank can be pretty bad if your thermometer is not calibrated~!