Steven King's It -

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok I've never read a Steven king book. I know I know. The new movie, It chapter two looks great and I want to see it but not before I read the novel It. My question is.... Did Steven King write a sequel to It?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my favorite books of his. The book is actually better than either of the two cinematic versions and they are not bad at all on their own. The TV mini-series with John Ritter, Richard Thomas, Harry Anderson, and Tim Curry as Pennywise is pretty good.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I may be in the minority but I didn't like the first movie and am not going to see the second part. I read the book several times and feel like the movie departed from the book way too much. Didn't even feel like the same story. Major things in the book were completely ignored by the movie. I mean stuff critical to the plot etc. were just not there. Didn't find it scary either and the book creeped me the heck out. I don't think I would have liked the movie even if I had not read the book first. It is one of my favorite Stephen King books, I think this story would have made a fantastic Netflix/Hulu/Prime or whatever show, maybe just too involved of a story to be made into a movie. The TV miniseries of It from the 90's was not very good either but stayed more true to the book. Like I said most people probably liked the movie, just missed the mark for me.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One of my favorite books of his. The book is actually better than either of the two cinematic versions and they are not bad at all on their own. The TV mini-series with John Ritter, Richard Thomas, Harry Anderson, and Tim Curry as Pennywise is pretty good.
I did like Tim Curry as Pennywise much better and thought the casting of the kid's characters was much better in the TV version. The adults not so much, I think that is why the TV version was just ok for me.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that some of the scariest parts of the book were left out in the cinematic versions. I thought the adult casting in the TV series was very good. Richard Thomas and Tim Reid did fine jobs in my opinion. The others weren't bad. The kids were very well cast.

None of the movie or TV versions of King's works have stayed very true to the books except for one. I thought "Salem's Lot" starring David Soul and James Mason was the one that most resembled the novel it was based on.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with you wholeheartedly about Salem's Lot. Love that one, I can still remember and get scared thinking about the vampire kid scratching on his friends window! Creepy stuff.

You're right, I forgot about Tim Reid, I liked him in It alot. Poor Richard Thomas, all's I could think of is him as John boy when my mom would watch the Waltons. Ha ha!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom