Steve the snail rides thermometer Funny 

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone

Just a funny little story to share

My mystery snail, Steve, has turned out to be quite a character. Who knew a snail could be so entertaining!

A few weeks ago, I was about to leave the house with my dad and sister to visit the grandparents. I was standing watching my tank that Steve resides in while waiting. He was crawling across the front glass, on path for the thermometer with a bung sunction cup (it just doesn't stick, so the thermometer floats very close to the glass. Next thing, he crawls onto it, wrapping his foot around it and the thermometer takes off into the (pretty strong) current! He was whirling around the tank, madly hanging onto the thermometer, feelers out being blown around, before letting go onto the top of an ornament that he otherwise wouldn't be able to reach. I called out to my dad, who came running coz he thought something was wrong, and he managed to see the last few seconds of steve's ride Anyway, we all cackled ourselves silly about it of course

Well, I thought that something like that would be a one-off. Not so! Just the other night, I was going to bed (it was about 1am) and I walked past the tank and saw Steve at it again, taking a ride on the thermometer. I ran to get my phone to take a picture, but just as I got back he had let go and landed on the plants

It just makes me wonder if I have a thrill-seeking snail He takes parasnailing to the next level (Ken's description of snails and their floating in the current ) Oh, and both times, the thermometer ended up right in the middle of the tank, bobbing away for hours. So now when I occasionally see the thermometer in the middle of the tank, it makes me wonder....

Wow, I wrote a really long post about the antics of my snail. I guess it shows how cool they are!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Silly snail! They can be very entertaining!

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree, snails can be very entertaining. I'm glad you're enjoying yours and that it's doing well

Thanks for sharing your story!

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, the laughs we have at our pet's expense..... great story!

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL!!!! Yes, I love to watch mine as well...I never thought they could be so entertaining!!! Loved your story, thank you for sharing!!!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Steve, you just made me laugh out loud at work! What a great little snail. You need a hidden camera set up opposite your tank lol!!

Thank you Rhan

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update:

I have managed to scrap together a tiny bit of pohotgraphic evidence. I just came home late tonight to see him on the thermometer, bobbing near the glass. This little portion of the tank has very little current compared to the rest, but if you look closely you can see he is wrapped around the thermometer, which is not connected to the glass lol

Sorry for the picture quality, had to rely on my camera flash as I didn't want to turn on the lights and wake up the household.

Hopefully I'll one day get some of him in the middle of the current swirling around

Attachments

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LOL. Yeah my pest snails seem to "surf" (as my boyfriend calls it) on flake food and leaves. Even he finds it quite entertaining.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wow I want a snail bad the only problem is I only want 1 lol that's a great story tho I was laughin pretty good there

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The mystery snails are not hermaphrodites, you need a male and female for them to breed. The females can store sperm though. They lay there eggs above the water line, because the embryos will drown if they get wet. So all you would have to do is remove the eggs (if you had any). They're not crazy breeders like many other snail species

I highly recommend them! He's very active, always up to something. He's more entertaining than the fish lol

Check out this site, it might just give you the little bit of encouragement you need

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what about plants I like my plant to be uneaten any info ??
I'm gettin excited lol

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They're 'teeth' (it's actually more like a scraper) are said to be too soft to eat plants. I've seen mine on top of my plants, but never seen any damage at all, whatsoever. There are several different species, and they differ in their appetites. I think this species is usually the 'golden mystery snail' sold:
'Pomacea bridgesiI (spike-topped apple snail, Brazilian apple snail, golden mystery snail and ivory snail) prefers dead and rotting plants above fresh green ones. Occasionally they eat the softer vegetation. Pomacea bridgesiI snails are thus a good choice for an aquarium equipped with a nice collection of water-plants. What is even more: they tend to starve to dead in the middle of the vegetation if you don't provide them with enough food. ' (from https://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php)

I drop in a few bits of algae wafer 2x week, 2 tiny shrimp pellets 2x week, and 2 slices of zuicchinI or cucumber 1x week (1 for the pleco, 1 for the snail ) . Keep in mind, I feed this much because of my cories and bristlenose too. But yeah, the snail does need to be fed They also need a pH of 7 or above, otherwise their shell will slowly deteriorate (from acidic water). I also have a crushed egg shell hidden in the back of my tank in a mesh bag, as it releases calcium as it slowly dissolves. The calcium is supposed to be good for their shells

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
this is great I'm gettin one like tomoro lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads