Sterilizing used tank for use

AcornTheBetta
Hi all!
I acquired a used tank somewhat recently and haven't done too much work on it other than cleaning it up a bit and making sure it holds water. I do not know what has been in this tank so I would prefer I clean it with something before I put Acorn in. The question is, what do I clean it with? Diluted bleach? Shock it with a lot of meds? The reason I'm doing this is to make sure nothing harmful is left over when I flood the tank. Thanks!

Lucy
Diluted bleach is fine. I forget the ratio now but I don't think it much matters if nothing has been in it for a while.
I think 19:1 ratio.

Rinse until you can't smell bleach then fill and put extra dechlorinator in and let it sit for a bit before emptying again.

That's what I would do. People have different methods.

JettsPapa
I wipe down the inside surfaces with vinegar, and then rinse with water. I'm not a chemist, but it's my understanding that vinegar will kill anything harmful.

AcornTheBetta
Lucy said:
Diluted bleach is fine. I forget the ratio now but I don't think it much matters if nothing has been in it for a while.
I think 19:1 ratio.

Rinse until you can't smell bleach then fill and put extra dechlorinator in and let it sit for a bit before emptying again.

That's what I would do. People have different methods.
Will a more diluted solution work?

Lucy
19 water to 1 part bleach. I should have been clearer.
But it should especially if the tank has been sitting unused for a while.

AcornTheBetta
Lucy said:
19 water to 1 part bleach. I should have been clearer.
But it should especially if the tank has been sitting unused for a while.
I think it has been unused for a while so I'll use less.

StarGirl
AcornTheBetta said:
I think it has been unused for a while so I'll use less.
Remember to scrub up under the lip with a toothbrush or something. Thats always the nastiest part...

Kelvin12
All my tanks are second hand and I scrubbed the daylights out of them with 10:1 white vinegar then a reslly good flush out with clean water. Have a good look at the sealing edges and if in doubt use a safety edge razor blade and remove the old silicone fillet edge but without gutting into the glass edges. Re seal with good aquarium silicone and let it cure to manufacturers recomendations. Better to be sure than have a leaky tank later. Give any new silicone a wipe over with fresh water.

AcornTheBetta
I put in 0.125 gallons of bleach into the 10g of water... Hope that's enough...
Update: Rinsed it off with a hose 8 times and am now letting it soak in dechlorinated water.

Latest threads

Top Bottom