Sterbai with no barbels!

1. nhaiflich Member Member

I ordered some sterbai cories that arrived today. They look good except all 4 are missing all their barbels! Am I asking for a disaster if I keep them? Can they even eat without them? Help please! Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They will be able to eat but you'll have to watch for any infection setting in, melafix is used here to help corys with barbel loss & infection.
    Keep the water pristine, their barbels should grow back but they never get as long as they should be after a severe loss

3. nhaiflich Member Member

I've got some melafix here so will do that. I'll keep a close eye on them. If they did start to get infected it would be obvious right? Like redness, loss of appetite, that kind of thing... Thanks

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, look for any redness & change in behaviour, feed them up a bit with live or frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp etc

5. nhaiflich Member Member

Okey dokey thanks Coradee!

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Isn't it a better idea to bring them back? The LFS sold you fish in a bad shape !! I don't like returning fish (certainly not Corys) but the LFS made their problems yours now.

7. nhaiflich Member Member

I had to order them online because they were not available at any pet store big or small within 1.5 hr drive from my house. With my kids 3 hrs in car is enough! Haha. And I was lied to as how they would be shipped and have been in the bag since Monday! Ridiculous. In my opinion, I would rather keep them and try to help them then put them through shipping again and send them back to obvious bad conditions.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They've been in the bag since Monday!?! That's awful it's a wonder they've survived.I hope you complained strongly to the company you bought them from, that's no way to treat fish :(

9. nhaiflich Member Member

Oh I did. I don't normally swear but it was riddled with swear words. They offered me a discount on more fish. Yeah, like I'm ever gonna order from there again! They had mixed reviews online. Now I know. I also had a fit when saw shipping label with Mondays date. Thought no way were going to be ok. They were supposedly shipped on Tuesday, supposed to be overnight to get here yesterday. Got here about 11 am today. They are already so much happier. Swimming around qt and eating already

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I bet the fish are so happy to be out of the bag, they'll be so much better in your care.
    Good water & food & will put them on the road to recovery :)

11. nhaiflich Member Member

Now that I know they are eating they will be in on tonights bloodworm feeding :) I put the qt tank almost next to main tank. Pretty sure the 1 in the main tank already spotted them. He is swimming like crazy next to the glass close to them. He is so little compared to ones that came today.:D

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Okay !!! Succes. Hoping they'll recover.

13. nhaiflich Member Member

Can it be?!?! I see the tiniest of tiny little nubs on all of them!

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Great news, glad to hear they're recovering well :)