Sterbai Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by 75g Discus Tank, Apr 15, 2018.

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

My LFS has some Sterbais and I wanted to up my school, so I’ll be buying 3 more.

The only problem is that the ones at the LFS are half the size of the ones I currently have.

Will there be any problem? Or would the smaller cories be able to hold up against the bigger ones?

And another question not really related to the one above, but one of my cories lost its tail when a Discus accidentally pecked at it when it was next to some food.

It has been about 2 months and no sign of rot, fungus, or new growth. Any ideas?

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

The new, smaller Sterbai should be fine. I've never seen them reject each other over size differences. Sorry to hear about the one who lost his tail. At least he's not obviously suffering. Could you post a pic, so we could see just how much of his tail is gone?

3. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

we had the opposite - the sterbai in our main tank were smaller than the ones we added from the QT. no issues at all :)

4. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

There is no tail left. He is too active though! It’s kinda hard to take a pic.

I wanted to post the tail question a month ago, but I thought it would heal on its own.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could be the tissue it is too far gone to grow back. Are you sure it isn't finrot or so ?

6. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Here’s the picture.

Attached Files:

7. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

I had the exact same thing happen. Not sure how yours is doing but keep the water clean! They aren't treated any differently, but I have a tank full of smaller cories that weren't getting enough food because of the big females.

8. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I found him dead about a week ago with no signs of why.

He was perfectly fine the day before and was perfectly fine for the months I had him.

9. DoubleDutch

The fish in the pic doesn't look "fine" though.

10. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Well fine as in not injured too badly, no signs of parasite or disease, etc.

11. Sarah73

Think he was too stressed. I don't know really cause that also happened to mine

12. DoubleDutch

Not want to be offensive or rude, but I don't really agree. It is injured badly to an extend the tailfin wouldn't have grown back and it seems to be off color. Healthy sterbai have a more golden color / shine. That could have to do with lighting btw.
    Sorry you lost it.

13. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Looks like it could of been a bacterial infection, not sure the exact type though. That really is the only type of infection that would of done this most likely. He is rather pale also. Normally they are darker.

14. Sarah73

You are being offensive. It happens. Mistakes happen in the fish world. The difference is that mine was completely yellow and the tail fin was growing back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice