Steps To Taming A Budgie. Is This Correct?

WinterSoldier.

So here are the steps I plan to take in taming my budgie.

1. Leave it alone upon arriving home for at least 12-24 hours
2. Place budgie in room with with me
3. Place budgie by TV with me sitting on the couch
4. Start by running your finger up and down the cage, and talking soothingly
5. Place budgie near you when you work
6. Open the cage and offer the budgie a tempting treat
7. Dip your finger in water and then in seeds and offer the seeds to the budgie
8. Place your hand in cage for prolonged period of time
9. Gently try to touch the budgie
10. Press gently on the budgies chest and see if it hops up. Repeat
11. Once you have the budgie stepping up on finger try taking it out of its cage

NOTE: At the beginning whenever you place your hand in the cage have some kind of treat or food with it, that way the budgie associates your hand with food.

So does this sound right? I mean the steps

AJE

11. Once you have the budgie stepping up on finger try taking it out of its cage

NOTE: At the beginning whenever you place your hand in the cage have some kind of treat or food with it, that way the budgie associates your hand with food.

It sounds better than what I did to tame mine here are my steps: let it loose in the house and it’ll warm up to you, it took 2 months but it worked lol

WinterSoldier.

It sounds better than what I did to tame mine here are my steps: let it loose in the house and it’ll warm up to you, it took 2 months but it worked lol
No. That is not happening. My land lord would kill me

AJE

No. That is not happening. My land lord would kill me
You method seems more efficient than mine though, sounds like a good plan. What size cage will he get?

Coradee

Slow & steady sounds good to me, let the budgie dictate how long it takes, if you go too quickly & scare it it takes an awful long time to regain its trust.
If you want him to talk then every time you interact with him say his name or whatever it is you want him to say, the more they hear it the better they learn.

When my daughter was little we had a budgie & she trained it to do all kinds of things but the funniest was the ‘re call’ like you do with dogs. She’d put him on the floor at one end of the hall then she’d sit at the other & call him & he’d come running along the floor to her, it cracks me up just remembering it, it was so cute lol

WinterSoldier.

You method seems more efficient than mine though, sounds like a good plan. What size cage will he get?

This cage, and he will get a little friend, but I am getting them one at a time with a month in between

If I let my budgie lose in the house for two months I have a feeling I'd get evicted, without security deposite

AJE

This cage, and he will get a little friend, but I am getting them one at a time with a month in between

If I let my budgie lose in the house for two months I have a feeling I'd get evicted, without security deposite
That’s about the same size cage as I had, I really want to have budgies again now lol

WinterSoldier.

Is it big enough for two?

AJE

Possibly, I kept two. They lived in there for 5 years

aussieJJDude

If you're using the cage simply as a sleeping quarters (aka they free roam most of the day) then I'd say yes. Otherwise, if you plan on keeping them in there for the majority, I'd invest in a bigger cage to reduce obesity.

(As for the steps to taming, I'd first just allow it to settle in longer than 24 hours... I'd reccomend a week so it really becomes familiar with you're household patterns. After that, I would sit far away from the bird(s) and just do a quiet activity, say reading a book or studying in a seat across the room. Gradually over time, I'd move closer when the bird becomes accustomed to it, bit by bit.

At the same time, try not to yell and shout around the bird. When feeding and giving it water, its best to move slowly and methodically, so the bird can guage your movements. Treats help a lot, such as a sunflower seed - these are very fatty! - every now and then, or grass seeds - was my birds favourite, along with fruit.

Eventually it got to the stage where my bird as comfortable enough that he could feed out of my hand - say holding the grass seed stalk and the bird would come over to nibble, and slowly the stalk would reduce in lenght to when he would practical eat out of my hand

kathy7878

I would try to get a bigger cage especially if you plan on two.

WinterSoldier.

I would try to get a bigger cage especially if you plan on two.
I plan too! I'm actually making it

Dominosq

I thought this was a fish forum lol

Fanatic

We have a category for not fish pets including cats, dogs, reptiles, horses, bids, and rodents.

WinterSoldier.

we have forums for lots of things besides fish. Birds, dogs, cats, gardening, general, sports ect.

Dominosq

Should have read the tags firstops:

Craig_84

Sounds like a good plan

I have had a few cockatiels and as you stated above works but I just held food at one side of my hand and got them to cross over my hand to get it which ment they got used to standing on my hand which is half the battle when trying to tame them. Getting them back in the cage is the worst part.... absolute nightmare!

Also when buying a bird best to get it hand reared so it’s used to human contact alreadly. Makes the process a lot less difficult.

WinterSoldier.

Sounds like a good plan

I have had a few cockatiels and as you stated above works but I just held food at one side of my hand and got them to cross over my hand to get it which ment they got used to standing on my hand which is half the battle when trying to tame them. Getting them back in the cage is the worst part.... absolute nightmare!

Also when buying a bird best to get it hand reared so it’s used to human contact alreadly. Makes the process a lot less difficult.

Thanks! I don't know if I will be able to get a hand raised on. I am probably going to buy it at petco. Yes I know, its not recommendable, but there really isn't any place near me that breeds them

aussieJJDude

Thanks! I don't know if I will be able to get a hand raised on. I am probably going to buy it at petco. Yes I know, its not recommendable, but there really isn't any place near me that breeds them
Try looking online for local breeders. While there are both good and bad breeders, a good breeder is worth its weight in gold and able to help you with the care for your bird. In many cases, you can see the parents of the bird (nice thing to have, as well as potentially the lineage as a good breeder is likely to keep track of!) and in some cases, hand reared.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• David C
  • Bird
Replies
Views
CHoffman
  • gremlin
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Nealdesai
  • Question