Stepping up size

1. ystrout Member Member

I currently have a 20 G community tank with assorted tetras and danios.

I'm ready to add a new tank to the house. I NEED some giant danios. They are beautiful fish, and from what I've seen in the pet store, have great personalities. I'd also like to add some red/orange contrast to the tank with some rose line sharks.

Will these two fish do well together? And I was either going to get a 75 G or 100 G tank. Or something in the middle. Can you give me an estimate of how many I should put in there. Keep in mind I'll put a couple bottom feeders to clean up the food that gets missed (although I'm sure there won't be much with danios in the tank!).

Thanks for the help.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

There are some people who are really good at stocking questions on the forum, perhaps they'd be more likely to see it if this was in the aquarium stocking section?
    Anders247 is one of them:)

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you adding the fish in your twenty to the 75/100?
    Giant danios or roseline sharks would be fine in a tank that size.

I would do 15 giant danios and 12 roseline sharks, plus whatever centerpiece fish you would want that are compatible.

5. ystrout Member Member

Sorry for replying so late, haven't checked the forums in a while.

I was thinking of just keeping two tanks (probably a 75 gallon and 100). I was thinking the giant danios or rose lines were too big to be kept with smaller fish like rummynose tetras? Am I right, or would they all do well in a big tank together?

I feel like it's a Danio thing, but they are SSOOOO active... Always swimming and chasing each other. I'm worried my rummys or bloodfins would get overwhelmed by a giant Danio. They already have to deal with my pearls, now just imagine dealing with giant ones!

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know for sure if they would do well together, I think they occupy the same strata in the tank, but in a large enough space with hiding places I don't see why not! Wait for experts to weigh in though;)

As for danio activity, yep, it's a danio thing! I hope you never have to catch them again;)