Step By Step For Breeding Gold Skirt Tetras?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Logan Weaver, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Logan WeaverNew MemberMember

Hello everyone! My name is Logan! I started an aquarium about a month or so ago. I started with a 10 gal from Walmart with two gold skirt tetras, and now I have a 40 gal with 5 gold skirts, 5 rosy finned, and 4 peppered cory!

My question is how do I start breeding fish? I heard the tetras breed pretty easily. Can anyone help me with a step by step guide? Do I just put them in a tank with each other and wait? Is there a way to tell when they are ready to spawn? I know they scatter and eat their eggs, so I will put them in a breeding divider.

Thanks!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore hope our members can help answer your question today

3. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I would use the ten gallon as a spawning tank, however you will need to feed the fish you are wanting to spawn richer foods to insure good eggs. Now I have a quick question are these white skirt tetras or yellow glofish tetras? If they are glofish you can get into trouble breeding them and selling them (by the glo "TM" you cannot breed on purpose or sell for profit).

4. OP
    OP
    L

Logan WeaverNew MemberMember

They are white skirts. I don’t agree with dyed fish so I don’t buy them lol

5. Mcasella

Glofish are not dyed, they have added DNA from jellyfish and coral to make them to colors they are, they are not striped of slime coat and dyed or injected with color gel, glofish are scientific not cruelty based.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Logan WeaverNew MemberMember

Awesome! Did not know that!!

7. Mcasella

But for breeding I am not much help on that, I know you can either use marbles in the bottom of the tank or try spawning mops to catch the eggs, once they are done spawning you would need to remove the parents because they will eat eggs and fry.
    You will need a very small source of food for them (infusoria, micro worms, baby brine shrimp, or similar small foods), and will need to do daily partial water changes until they get a little more sizable then you can do every other day or three times a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice