Stem Rot Help

Nierums

Hello,
About a month ago I ordered plants from liveaquaria and all the plants were great, they all took off. About a week or weeks in, I noticed my anubias was loosing a leaf, and after inspection noticed half the rhizome was rotten, so I cut it off hoping to salvage the remainder of the plant.

Next I started losing my Wisteria, I had probably 10 or 12 stems and they all got stem rot. I cut the bottoms off of all of them and was able to salvage 6 of the tops. I came home today to find that now Rotala Indica now has 2 stems rotting. Is there something I can do to combat this? Is this a symptom of something?

I have a Fluval planted 3.0 light
I use Aquarium Co-op easy green Fert as well as iron, and I use root tabs throughout the tank because I am using black diamond blasting sand as my substrate.

My parameters are as follows
Temp 79.2
Ph - 6.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20 - 40ppm depending on the day (wc every Sunday)

Up until this point the rotala and even the Wisteria have new growth and have put down good roots.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Mat

acjag

Hello,
About a month ago I ordered plants from liveaquaria and all the plants were great, they all took off. About a week or weeks in, I noticed my anubias was loosing a leaf, and after inspection noticed half the rhizome was rotten, so I cut it off hoping to salvage the remainder of the plant.

Next I started losing my Wisteria, I had probably 10 or 12 stems and they all got stem rot. I cut the bottoms off of all of them and was able to salvage 6 of the tops. I came home today to find that now Rotala Indica now has 2 stems rotting. Is there something I can do to combat this? Is this a symptom of something?

I have a Fluval planted 3.0 light
I use Aquarium Co-op easy green Fert as well as iron, and I use root tabs throughout the tank because I am using black diamond blasting sand as my substrate.

My parameters are as follows
Temp 79.2
Ph - 6.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20 - 40ppm depending on the day (wc every Sunday)

Up until this point the rotala and even the Wisteria have new growth and have put down good roots.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Mat
Why is your PH so low? Are you injecting Co2? If memory serves me right, all the plants you mentioned do better in harder water. What's your GH/KH?

Nierums

Why is your PH so low? Are you injecting Co2? If memory serves me right, all the plants you mentioned do better in harder water. What's your GH/KH?
I don't know it off hand, but I do know my water is very soft, gh is only one drop, and kh is three drops, but I don't have the conversion table onhand. I'm not sure what happened with my oh to be honest it was at 7.4 for a long time and al of a sudden, it just dropped. That makes sense, and I am not Injecting c02.. Thank you for your. Response!

acjag

I don't know it off hand, but I do know my water is very soft, gh is only one drop, and kh is three drops, but I don't have the conversion table onhand. I'm not sure what happened with my oh to be honest it was at 7.4 for a long time and al of a sudden, it just dropped. That makes sense, and I am not Injecting c02.. Thank you for your. Response!
I am by no means an expert, I'm just shooting from the hip here and my hopes are someone with a lot more experience will chime in. For me my water is hard straight off the tap and I'm assuming my KH is up as well but I have never checked my hardness numbers anyways I choose plants and fish that will work for my tap water and I do a 40% WC weekly. What's your maintenance schedule? Maybe your KH dropped therefore your PH all of the sudden dropped.

Nierums

I am by no means an expert, I'm just shooting from the hip here and my hopes are someone with a lot more experience will chime in. For me my water is hard straight off the tap and I'm assuming my KH is up as well but I have never checked my hardness numbers anyways I choose plants and fish that will work for my tap water and I do a 40% WC weekly. What's your maintenance schedule? Maybe your KH dropped therefore your PH all of the sudden dropped.
I will recheck my kh and gh. I do 40 to 50%water changes every Sunday. I dose with ferts and iron twice weekly.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Rye3434

Could you have damaged the stems in anyway?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
acjag
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mortifera
  • Question