Stem plants arrived curved over, do they straight up?

JoshYoungman

Hi all

Just had a bunch of Bacopa Carolinana arrived and i've planted it into my tank.

The stems are all quite curled/curved over towards the tops, I'm guessing from how they were shipped.

Will they naturally straighten out in the tank, or will the new growth just grow straight up?

Thanks

Josh

Chanyi

They will naturally straighten towards a light source.

TWiG87

Mine move quite a bit towards the light. You may see the majority of the stem curve to get closer to the light.

UnknownUser

My rotalas came bent at the midpoint, found out it was because they were grown in super high lighting. My tank is low light so they had to grow straight up to it. Two ended up forming an “S” shape with the new growth going straight up, the others weren’t as badly bent. Plants adapt :)

Chanyi

Many factors can lead to non-uniform growth.

Light angle, light intensity, secondary / tertiary etc. light sources, plant species, nutrient imbalances, nutrient deficiencies and nutrient toxicity are some other factors that will affect straight vs non-uniform growth patterns

rubysword

They'll grow towards the light! If anyone's interested, it's called phototropism. The fact that plant roots grow down is partially to do with the seeking of nutrients, and partially the fact that they grow towards gravity-gravitropism! *fends off rotten vegetables* Hehe, I find it exciting. Sorry. :)

Top Bottom