Stem Plant Propagation

acjag

when I have a stem plant, let use ludwigia or wisteria as an example. If a uncut stem grows to about an inch from the surface I'll cut it and replant top portion. Now this main stem will split into two stems where I cut and the top portion I cut previously is just one main stem. The plant that has split into two portions, when one of those reaches the surface surface I will cut it and replant but now the left overs I pull and discard. My question is if I don't pull and discard will these plants keep splitting and grow new stems and make like a bush or after several cuttings will it wilt away and die?

smee82

How long the bottom will last Depends on the health of the plant. Some last longer then others.

WetRootsNH

With a few exceptions your plant will continue branch from any pruning. And with most stem plants you can replant the trimmed top as well and it will begin to root.
Most aquatic plants are incredibly tough, wait, no, even tougher than that.
I've cut the head completely off of a sword several times (no remaining leaves) and had it spring right back every time.
Every few weeks I go in and trim almost all of my 'stem' plants down to just their bottom most set of leaves and replant the tops (unless I am out of room for that species, then I just trash it)
I guess all I'm saying is, don't be timid about trimming.
My girlfriend is more of the soft trimming sort and always cringes when I prune. But the plants always come back stronger and bushier then before.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Netti
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
  • Question