Stem Plant Id?

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This particular plant doesn't take on a jagged shape. I also received water wisteria and moneywort from them, so I know it's neither of those.

It could be hygro corymbosa but most of the pictures I've seen for it have it looking shorter and bushy. Is that because it wasn't getting enough light? New growth seems to be much more compact compared to the original stem from when I planted.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plants that have enough light will stay short and wider but if it isn’t provided good light then it will grow tall looking for light.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I guess it could be a topped corymbosa. Mine grow crazy fast so my leaves look more like they grow in pairs than bunches like that. I'd say mine do a couple inches a week.

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the leaves are still growing in pairs. I've noticed the new growth on these plants are short and clustered, but all of the new leaves are growing in pairs. Maybe a better way of saying it is that there's not much stem growth in-between the leaves like in the older growth. I did notice yesterday that I think I have this same plant in one of my betta tanks - and it seems the new growth that's near the top 1/3rd of the tank is starting to get jagged. does that mean this would actually be water wisteria? The other water wisteria I have has the really pretty, frilly looking leaves, and not a single round leaf.

This has me wondering if it's going to get tall or not. The friend I received this from had it growing extremely tall, but she has less light than I do. If I need to move it to replace it with another background plant, I'd prefer to do it before it roots too well.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine is planted horizontally. All the new leaves grow in round and then get the jagged/frilly look after a bit. I know mine are getting tons of light. I keep having to give away pieces of it. It's the plant in this pic.
20180527_211610.jpg

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the picture Wraithen! That probably is it then. Yours looks really dense and lush! Do you think it's good as a background plant, or should it be more of a midground plant? I've got it in my 60 that's 25" tall.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aada said:
Thank you for the picture Wraithen! That probably is it then. Yours looks really dense and lush! Do you think it's good as a background plant, or should it be more of a midground plant? I've got it in my 60 that's 25" tall.
Depends on how you plant it. It's a great midground if you bury the stem lengthwise in the substrate. It gives a canopy about 1 inch about the substrate to wherever it decides to climb, usually a few inches. Fish love swimming under it.

You can also carefully plant it the way you have it and it will eventually go up to the top of your tank. I've got hygrophila types doing my background for me so that's why I put it in where it is. It only looks like a jungle because its sideways, so all the leaves are growing out one half of the stem. If I grew it normally, it would probably end up leggy. My tank is a little warm for most plants at 80, so most things grow a little more leggy than normal. Except anacharis, that grows crazy thin. Like 1 leaf per half inch or so.

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If that's the case, I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to purchase a larger background plant and try to move the wisteria to growing horizontally instead. They're currently in the back corner of my tank, in the area I want to be most densely planted.

I included a picture from when this was all first planted, a month ago, but I don't have an updated picture yet. I'll get one tonight after work. So far the other plants are one Amazon sword and three aponogeton of unknown type. The aponogeton were sold as a cup of 3 bulbs, otherwise I would have only got one. The Amazon sword and aponogeton have really taken off where this one has stayed relatively tiny.

Attachments

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aada said:
If that's the case, I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to purchase a larger background plant and try to move the wisteria to growing horizontally instead. They're currently in the back corner of my tank, in the area I want to be most densely planted.

I included a picture from when this was all first planted, a month ago, but I don't have an updated picture yet. I'll get one tonight after work. So far the other plants are one Amazon sword and three aponogeton of unknown type. The aponogeton were sold as a cup of 3 bulbs, otherwise I would have only got one. The Amazon sword and aponogeton have really taken off where this one has stayed relatively tiny.
Yeah, I would put the sword by the filter intake. They dont shed leaves as easily. Take it from me, leaves getting trapped in the intake helps make a nasty intake tube. Sword leaves are pretty tough, so they shouldn't have an issue.

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ack! I didn't know that aponogeton leaves come off easily. So far the three have been growing like weeds. I've noticed the one in front of the filter intake has been growing thinner leaves recently.

Here's a couple of pictures from today - are they too big now to be moving them? My scape isn't done yet either... I just add a little each paycheck

Attachments

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didnt mean your apon... never getting that plant name. Ever... anyway, I meant the wisteria, if it is wisteria. The leaves will shed from time to time and be right there by your filter. Your bulb plant should be fine. I never could get those things to grow for me!

And for the way my scape looks now, with my rolling hills because the water was too murky when setting up my 180, I dont judge any scape other than to say "wow!" Or, "remove the fake plants and pink gravel."

Aada

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Wraithen Ooh, okay! I might try to get it to grow sideways then and plant something else in that back corner... or maybe not since it would still be very close to the filter intake. I've tried bulb plants before and never had any success, but these were already growing when I bought them, and supposedly coal slag is nutrient rich - so that may be part of why they're growing so well.

Since I am working on getting it set up for semi-aggressive fish, I want really dense foliage plus lots of rocks & wood to establish hiding places. I'll have to try to find another plant to stick in that corner that won't shed and clog my filter intake. Thank you for all the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom