Stella's Nano Sw Tank | Page 6

1. greenbonsai Well Known Member Member

I loved John Pennekamp State Park! Was the first place I ever went snorkeling to view the reef. I was living in Islamorada for 8 months for work. Oh, how much I miss going to Key West on the weekends. Especially miss those authentic key lime pies and fruit farms/stands everywhere. I made a Key Lime Pie recently using Nellie & Joes' which impressed my girl's parents but I knew it was just a shadow of the taste from fresh squeezed key limes. It's still great to use when not living anywhere near the FL keys though!

I keep it in my fridge at all times! Usually just make mixed drinks with it.
    ca17aeca2171d880c11d321fac8773fc.jpg

2. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

YES!!! @greenbonsai :D Now, if I'm remembering correctly, you are a, or have been a chef right? I'm wondering if you've actually ever juiced a key lime... it's not fun. A few weeks ago I juiced about a dozen of them and still didn't have 3 oz. of juice! Then I broke out the Nellie & Joe's. :)

If I may stay off topic for a bit. There is a local business, the Key West Key Lime Pie Company. They put little display cases in all kinds of stores around the Keys, even in gas stations. The best summer treat??? They cover a slice of key lime pie in dark chocolate, insert a popsicle stick and freeze it! Oh my... it's been too long since I had one of those. They ship folks. :)

Anywaaayyy, the tank was less cloudy yesterday and Scorch is back to being a bit more active, but there's something going on... The GSP doesn't like it because it didn't open at all yesterday and is still closed this morning.

Yet, we were so excited to go shopping this weekend. We're pretty disappointed in our zoas coloration at home and want to get some more color going on. Last night I made the mistake of contacting a local seller, (ReefGardener), who has three items I'd like to get, (more zoas, a ricordea, & a branching hammer.) I thought that it might take a week or two to get an appt. Not the case. She's willing to see us today or tomorrow. Probably a bad idea to pick up 3 new frags while we're dealing with these issues though huh? I do know better, I'm just afraid I'll miss out on a couple of sweet deals if I wait.... sigh:grumpy:

3. greenbonsai Well Known Member Member

Yes, I was a professional chef and that's why I was living down there. I'm a web designer professionally now though and chef by hobby/necessity.

Personally, I would wait until I knew my tank was 100% okay before investing in more frags, because no matter how good the sale is it's still a waste of money if they die.

Patience is key. Fight the coral itch! You have time. I'd make sure the ones you have open back up and get real healthy. There will always be more deals to be had in the future. ;)

4. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

Hahaha Stella... that's always the case with me too. I never want to miss out on a deal.
    If your GSP's aren't opening up, you might want to becareful of putting something new in your tank.
    GSP's generally aren't usually picky, so it might be something off in your tank that's causing it. Just my 2 cents.

Are your other corals opening?

5. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Do it Stella get some of the green ones, they are the best looking hardy fast spreaders i have found. df98efff66e88c1e64791ef61c5b0a0b.jpg my gsp close occasionally for nothing, not often but they have done it a few times. There another one i wouldn't worry about they are super hardy too i have found.

6. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

It is strange because my zoas and xenia open up fine.

7. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

We headed to a couple LFS's today in search of snails. We were hoping to get 1 trochus, 1 cerith, & 1 nassarius. Couldn't find the cerith, so ended up with 2 each of the others.

And.... I couldn't help myself.
    20170714_202802-1.jpg

8. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

legitttttttttt RFA! Feed it a small piece of mysis every other or every 2 days. They'll eat pellets too.

9. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful, some real color going on, scorch is a vip now.

10. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Finally... I got the GSP off the plug and glued it to my rock. I'm kind of happy about that but still reserved. The darn things haven't opened up in a few days. Not since the cloudiness which we think must have been a bacteria bloom. That was probably caused by a heavy cleaning of the substrate, perhaps releasing a bunch of silicates. We hadn't done a heavy sand cleaning since the tank finished cycling. The closed up GSP was turning green with algae. I hope I haven't killed it, but it seemed like it needed a cleaning and since it was already closed I decided to go for it. I put it in a little dish of tank water, gently brushed off the algae and used a razor blade to separate it. It came off pretty easy.

The zoas and the xenia seem fairly happy... they open daily at lights on anyway. The xenia either suffered pretty bad from the meds, or it's starting to stretch a bit, or maybe a bit of both. It still pulses and opens wide every day, it just looks super floppy with thin 'stems', significantly thinner than they were prior to meds.

As for the RFA... it hasn't eaten well yet. We've fed pieces of mysis shrimp twice and it sort of moved around but not enough to get the food to it's mouth. It also has what appears to be two small pieces of shell stuck to two different places on it's foot. I'd like to remove them but I'm worried about causing damage. It does seem to have settled into a nice spot and I really hope to see it thrive. I can't wait to get 3-4 more of them so I can have a little garden. I've already got my eye on a rainbow looking one, (I already forgot the name the LFS guy told me). It's a little more than twice the price though, so I'm going to gain some experience with this $20 one first.

I am also in the market for a Duncan... like ASAP. Found nice looking single polyps selling for $10! Anything you guys want to share about helping one thrive would be great. I've seen all kinds of stuff about them. Some say it might take 2-3 weeks for one to open up after bringing it home. I know that would worry me because I would be concerned about lack of light and food. What has been your experience?

Sorry for another essay guys... sometimes I can't help myself. I am sincerely thankful for all the help and advice.;)

11. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

I would personally leave the RFA be. Don't mess with them too much when the first go in your tank. If they don't eat it's because they arnt hungry yet. Eating excess food can rot inside hem and have adverse affect.

As for other corals, I personally would give it a few weeks before getting more corals. Just in case, something is wrong with the tank. I kept like 2 corals to start out with and let the tank stabilize its parameters before I started loading it up. Just my thought!

12. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

I hear ya... and I know you're right. But man, it's hard not to scratch that coral itch. I guess it's time to fess up. There was another addition that I was a little shy to tell about at first but here goes... 20170715_201022.jpg

13. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

Hahahahahaha!!! I'm not surprised at all Stella. I think we all get a little caught up when it comes to coral buying. Nice little ricordea piece. You know they'll eat too right? I feed mine either mysis or pellets every few days

14. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

I didn't research as much as I should have prior to buying the ricordea and I was a little surprised to be able to see little mouths on it. I counted four of them... Should I try to target them all when feeding this guy? I'm thinking of starting with a little bit of shrimp juice later today.

Should I squirt a little bit to the RFA as well? Like I said, it hasn't really eaten yet and Scorch has been happy enough to eat the leftovers. So, I don't want to overfeed, but I don't know how soon to try again since it hasn't had anything big enough to see in the two days we've had it.

15. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

Just toss a piece of mysis shrimp at it and see if it'll eat. If not try again next day

16. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Ah so funny reading this, @stella1979 you coral junkie !! hahaha my gsp, the longest they didn't open for was 3days like your describing after a clean, i nearly wrote them off as dead because of how small they are when they are in, and the duncan, mine was an un expected birthday present off the gf sister and it never really opened much for 3 weeks! And believe it or not i didn't even see full extension for like two months. Amazing first stoney coral that is as i was always looking at them and never really understood them till i got mine, great first lps because of the price. After the duncan i got the torch, that thing was the making of my 16g cost me £40 though. ed04d6bdaffa6525e5d1084dcc22085d.jpg just took that of the torch enjoying my sw4 wave maker lol.

17. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Yeah buddy, a duncan and a hammer are next on my list. In good news... the GSP opened up a bit yesterday! Only 10 polyps, but hey, it's a start and I hope it's starting to get happier. The RFA ate too! :D It's mouth gets so funny looking, like it had a fat lip. I'm pretty sure the ricordea caught some food too. I wasn't paying it much attention at the time as I was watching the RFA. The ricordea is just below the RFA and I made sure some food drifted down . When I noticed, it was squeezed up tight where I couldn't see it's mouths anymore and afterwards it was spread as wide as I've seen so far... like it was hoping to catch more.

18. MightyNanoTank Well Known Member Member

@stella1979 told ya the RFA will be fine. you just need to give them time to get situated. one thing to really not do is move the corals around all too much. As for the ricordea, when you feed them, they are slower eaters with no sticky hand ability to grab the food much, so I always have a harder time feeding my ricordeas. I literally have to hold the shrimp near its mouth for a good 20 seconds till it grabs hold of it, even then, they are so slow to eat, that usually my blenny or clowns will steal it right off. Agitating!

19. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

I hear that... though I want to move them all the time. Well, the apparently wild zoas at least. They're not too pretty and are sitting in a prime viewing spot right now. I'm going to leave them there while things stabilize and hopefully begin to grow. At that point I'll be ready to put something more colorful in that spot.

Aside from the GSP being finicky, things seem to be going well. Parameters are staying where they should though I still think about pH being a bit higher sometimes. Nitrates were at 0.75 at last check.:D We're dealing with some diatoms, likely from whatever caused the cloudiness. Nothing alarming though, it's still a new tank after all. ;)

20. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

OK guys, here it is....

20170719_171709.jpg

The RFA is doing well and has eaten a couple times... so has the ricordea floridae :)

That gnarly rock with zoa's in the middle.... used to be propped up on the top rock but last night a trochus decided he wanted to chow on some algae on the gnarly rock. Knocked it right down. I wasn't planning on keeping it there anyway so no big deal I guess...

20170719_170308.jpg
    GSP is looking much happier these days.:) Though I'll admit to not doing my first in tank glue job very well... it slipped and ended up a little lower than I wanted.

20170719_170224.jpg

And here's my guilty little secret... I couldn't resist the little duncan frag for $10 and since I was already being bad I picked up a couple more zoa's too.:smuggrin: I'm done, I swear... here's hoping everybody does well. ;)