Stella's 20g Long - Freshwater Edition

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They're so cute, and its great you've aleady got them eating prepared veggies. a lot fo ties the wild ones you have a hard time getting to eat them. Sounds like you've got a good bunch!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can it do more than one programmed on and off time to where the photoperiod can be shipped?
Smart Plugs. About $10 ea and you can program them to go on/off every minute if you want. You can even control them away from home with the phone app.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They have made it through day 3.

This morning, 1 on the cucumber, 2 on the Wisteria.
Ottos on leaves.jpg" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment452325" data-lb-id="attachment452325">
Ottos on leaves.jpg

I thought, 'are they getting all they need from the cucumber and whatever else they're able to find?' So, this afternoon, I dropped an algae wafer. They like those too. Big guy didn't even run from the camera this time.
Ottos on algae wafer.jpg

My 11 year old knows that we do not name fish until they clear qt, but he couldn't help himself. Meet the OttoBots guys.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They have made it through day 3.

This morning, 1 on the cucumber, 2 on the Wisteria.
View attachment 452325

I thought, 'are they getting all they need from the cucumber and whatever else they're able to find?' So, this afternoon, I dropped an algae wafer. They like those too. Big guy didn't even run from the camera this time.
View attachment 452326

My 11 year old knows that we do not name fish until the clear qt, but he couldn't help himself. Meet the OttoBots guys.
Love the name! Lol.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they eat the cucumber and algae wafer, that and what ever else they can find should be enough for them. Glad there eating veggies.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Haha love the name. Instead of playing Narts find the starry blenny game its going to be find Stellas otos! Especially when they go in the 20.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha love the name. Instead of playing Narts find the starry blenny game its going to be find Stellas otos! Especially when they go in the 20.
Ha! I've played that game several times already.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Day 9 is upon us and we still have 3 Ottobots. They've had a couple of water changes already... The first was on day 4 because they made a mess when I left an algae wafer in there too long. Super paranoid about them always having access to food.

I tried yesterday for pics, but they were hiding well after their second water change. I'll try again soon. I hope to show them off a lot before they get lost in the 20g.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Day 9 is upon us and we still have 3 Ottobots. They've had a couple of water changes already... The first was on day 4 because they made a mess when I left an algae wafer in there too long. Super paranoid about them always having access to food.

I tried yesterday for pics, but they were hiding well after their second water change. I'll try again soon. I hope to show them off a lot before they get lost in the 20g.
Cute! And the name OttoBots is the most clever thing I’ve heard today . I think they need a theme song now haha

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Figured it was time for an update. Hmmm, not much to talk about though. Still working on getting the upper hand on algae in the 20g, but I'll get there.

Best news? Today marks 3 weeks that the Ottobots have not only survived, but grown and fattened up in the qt tank. They have constant access to either baby spinach, zucchini, or cucumber, and they love them all. Hope I'm not spoiling these guys too much because I do hope they'll help with algae in the 20. And, I'm starting to see benefits to lighter sand and a blue background, because these guys are nearly impossible to photograph in this dark tank. I have tried to get contrast photos when they're on the veg, but the camera approaching usually scares them off. Anyhow, I am truly enjoying these little guys, and you guys will just have to believe me that there's still 3 of them, because I can't prove it with these...

2018-07-20-15-07-29.jpg
2018-07-20-13-23-16.jpg

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm so glad that you've had good luck with them!

I think they'll do well with the algae. Mine always really enjoyed veggies, but once they realized the veggies weren't around all the time, they got to work.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats!!!

I just moved my otos to my shrimp tank last night. Only 2 of 6 survived QT. I need to get 6 more as soon as I move my breeding praecox rainbows out of QT. I have 3 in my other 20g long so I might get a few more for that tank too.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That stinks that so many of these guys don't transition well. Hope you have better luck soon @DarkOne . They are awesome little fish and I'm thanking my lucky stars for how well things have gone so far.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Figured it was time for an update. Hmmm, not much to talk about though. Still working on getting the upper hand on algae in the 20g, but I'll get there.

Best news? Today marks 3 weeks that the Ottobots have not only survived, but grown and fattened up in the qt tank. They have constant access to either baby spinach, zucchini, or cucumber, and they love them all. Hope I'm not spoiling these guys too much because I do hope they'll help with algae in the 20. And, I'm starting to see benefits to lighter sand and a blue background, because these guys are nearly impossible to photograph in this dark tank. I have tried to get contrast photos when they're on the veg, but the camera approaching usually scares them off. Anyhow, I am truly enjoying these little guys, and you guys will just have to believe me that there's still 3 of them, because I can't prove it with these...

View attachment 457738 View attachment 457737

View attachment 457738 View attachment 457737
What plant is that with the forked leaves?

I have one, doing great. My picture is terrible because the lights are low now.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So glad the Ottobots are doing well. They’ll definitely chow down on the algae. Mine seem to prefer it as I hardly see them on the veggies. And I can’t seem to photograph mine either lol. Maybe @DoubleDutch can give us some photography tips; he always seems to get nice close ups of his ottos.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lchi.
Not real tips though (sorry).
I only notice they're.more fond of Coryfood than vegs.

So glad the Ottobots are doing well. They’ll definitely chow down on the algae. Mine seem to prefer it as I hardly see them on the veggies. And I can’t seem to photograph mine either lol. Maybe @DoubleDutch can give us some photography tips; he always seems to get nice close ups of his ottos.
The tank is on eye-height so.that makes things easier. Pics and vids are made with my cellphone.
66634a18fd0158a8846d1395058c5605.jpg
60f913fc6027d493fb8e316fe8fda8c7.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom