Staurogyne Repens Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by scarface, Apr 23, 2017.

1. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Are these roots growing out of the stem? If so, is it normal, cause I was expecting it to grow into the soil, out of site. Thanks.
    IMG_3897.JPG

2. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Are you sure that is S. Repens? That looks like a stem plant, and a little big but it may be the picture. How long have you had it and how did it look when you got it?

My S. Repens is still pretty small, but it grows more like a bushy plant. Ex:

cc8c4caba3aed8f8fe23c21c9454324d.jpg

Your photo looks more like water wisteria grown emersed. Ex:

81ab50f0ae73a8497360cc81b6255bdc.jpg

New growth will have the fern-like leaves.

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above! Staurogyne repens should look like this
    b6a2de4b2ac3c333322b369a47b1c71e.jpg

4. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Yep, it's definitey s. Repens. It's a new setup I had for a little over a week. I got them in those little gel bags and separated them apart before planting. Maybe it's the nutrient rich amazonia aquasoil causing this? Here's another photo of the other ones. IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Well then...I wish mine would root like that! My snails and cories keep uprooting them!

6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

It's possibly the bottom of the stem rotted and you are getting root growth where it is healthy... I would pull the one on the right and check what's going on. Can't say I remember my old staurogene having aerial roots... new is too newly planted for me to offer advice from :)

7. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Haha, I don't know. To me, they look unsightly.
    I hope not. This substrate is a pain in the butt, 8ppm ammonia for days, even after a large water change. I planted with the roots on, not just the stem part. I don't know if that's what you meant. I'll wait for now, until I'm absolutely sure I need to do something. Thanks though.

8. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Anyone else? :)

9. KeystoneWell Known MemberMember

IMG_1082.JPGIMG_1083.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1085.JPGIMG_1082.JPGIMG_1083.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1085.JPG I also got mine from a gel bag - they've been in place for about 2 months and I don't see any roots growing from the stems. Mine are planted in coarse sand in a 5 gallon tank that houses some Gammarus and copepods.

10. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Maybe it has to do with the high ammonia.

11. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Not quite what I meant.
    So, let's say for whatever reason the bottom of the stem has rotted, can't grow any roots on dead material. I would try to up root one and check out the stem... if it's rotted then remove lower leaves and replant with aerial roots in substrate...
    either way the stem is too long, won't spread evenly, that part will be higher.
    And yes, tissue culture can be difficult to plant, but I think the round substrate has a bit of an edge on my eco complete... even more of a pain!
    Hope you have some good tweezers :)

12. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I did buy an aquscaping tweezer, because the eyebrow ones weren't doing it!
    So I pulld one out. Surprisingly, it rooted in pretty good, as it pulled away clumps of aqusoil with it. Since rotting isn't an issue, I guess I'm going to have to just be happy that it's thriving. IMG_3903.JPG

13. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

I'm a gardener and #1 rule is always to care more for roots than what's going on above.
    The fact that you have roots coming from above the 'crown' means that your plant is healthy enough to recognize nutrient rich soil and is taking advantage of it to climb the evolutionary ladder.
    It's a good thing.

Someone mentioned to rip it out, which was actually bad advice.

14. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I didn't say to rip it out, I said to uproot one. :)
    Aerial roots are showing on a plant that doesn't typically get them. Being that it was rather newly planted it is possible the bottom melted and roots were growing upward as there was no where for them to grow below. Checking the condition of one plant will not hurt the scape and could have provided answers that we wouldn't have otherwise known :)

15. The salientValued MemberMember

Hey ai913, is that a female beta? How she get along with everyone else?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice