will they live in static water?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

100.0%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Valued Member Member

im reading that i can have a fish in shallow water and the movement from the fish will help circulate air into its area?...
    i just went and got an air pump for some gold fish and finding out that i do not need it..it has no filter on it as well, but gets 1gallon water changes daily
    what i am wating to do is put a preggo guppy in to an empty 10gallon tank with no pump, ect..
    will it survive just fine in an empty tank with just water?
    i also have prego swordtails that i maybe swap into the tank also? idk
    now thinking a heater would be a bonus...

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

No it will not survive, without a heater. Alsothe filter helps them get oxygen so without one your fish will become stressed and die. Sorry it’s not what you where hoping for :(

3. OP
    OP
    Chillin

im reading alot of the O2 intake is purely from water agitation
    also seeing that water levels matter as well for purely relying on the fish to stur the water for agitation..
    so maybe in the bottom of a 1gallon jug till the fry pop out?
    might just breakdown and use the jug in the tank with holes in it

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Essentially what your trying to do used to be called a swamp tank. Yes it can be done but takes lots of care setting up and maintaining. Its much easier and less expensive to just throw a filter on it.

5. OP
    OP
    Chillin

from what i understand if you have treated water for fish and throw a filter on it, it will disturb the live-ability for the fish?
    so adding an air line would seem more acceptable for now?

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

A filter will not harm your fish. Every fish deserves a filter. Beneficial bacteria live in the filter media and use up the ammonia and nitrites so they dont harm your fish. Yes a bubbler will do the agitation for gas exchange but nothing else.

7. OP
    OP
    Chillin

alright been looking at sponge filters and i have a spair large filter cartage, maybe set it in the take above the air stone with some space in between?
    could that work doing some filtering
    thinking of laying it flat so the air passes threw it, lava rocks holding it all together lol

8. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Valued Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    Chillin

they are not sold in any of my pet shops around here, have to order them online......
    maybe i can do that some time...idk