Starving frogs???!!

gmann21193

Reaction score
Is there anyway to determine if an african dwarf frog isn't getting enough food? I drop the food in the tank but it seems that the guppies seem to like it also. I don't want my froggies to starve. :-\

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hand feed them bloodworms or earthworms with a turkey baster.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gmann21193 said:
dont earthworms carry harmful diseases?
I found this on ADFs. It confirms bbfeckawitts advice. I think the risk is low as the care sheets for the frogs have the same basic feeding info.

Feeding: Most ADF’s will not eat enough pelleted food to sustain themselves. In order to maintain these frogs, provide a wide variety of frozen foods such as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, and other worms. ADF’s will eat live prey of suitable size such as worms (blackworms are readily available), chopped earth worms, or newborn livebearer fry. If you keep fish with your ADF’s, make sure the frogs get enough food by either hand feeding them or using a clear feeding tube to drop food directly to them.

starshine

Reaction score
I have small fish in with my ADF's (see below), and so what I normally do is feed the fishies some flake food, let them get nice and full, then drop in some brine shrimp, bloodworms, or both. Generally, the fish will eat a little bit just out of gluttony, but then will let most sink to the bottom for the frogs. When I first got my ADF's, though, I had to handfeed them. And ADF's find their food by smell, so it sometimes takes a little while. But I've had mine for quite a while now and they're doing just fine. Just make sure you don't let them OVER feed once they get the hang of it, though. They are such little pigs that they will eat until they die...literally.

New Threads