Startup help

1. AquariumNoob1988

AquariumNoob1988 Valued Member Member

Hello everyone i currently got my tank started up washed the sand of course itll be slightly cloudy but now do i add the prime and start my filter up and let it run for 24hrs before i put the Dr tims bacteria then add the dr tims amonia drops according to my tank size[​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, you got it!

3. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

yup. :) filter and debris will settle.

4. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

awesome aquaclear is running good i put a sponge, biomax and chemi pure in i will let it run over night my amonia is 0 and p.h is 7.2 tomorrow i will pour the nitro bacteria in first thing tomorrow followed by the amonia drops cant wait to get my cycle going!

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

Im not really sure i was told it works better then activated carbon which i was originally gonna use reason i didnt purchase the amonia remover media for the aquaclear was because i was also told a properly cycled tank shouldn't have an amonia problem

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

i think you'll want to add your heater and crank it up to at least 80 for optimal bacteria growth.

8. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

its hooked up into the tank just isnt plugged in i wasnt sure i should use it yet because my water is currently reading at 84 because its really hot here im on the top floor of house

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh ok. then if that's the temp, I guess you can do without it.

10. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

also off topic i have a piece of drift wood soaking in a bucket of water to get the particles and tannins out how long should i leave it to soak for before adding to the tank? ty

also i put "prime" in the tank how long does it take for the smell of chlorine to evaporate i used half a cap of prime

11. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Smell usually goes away at my tank in about an hour, unless I have spilled some. Make sure you wait a full 24 hours between Prime and the bacterial starter & ammonia.

As for the driftwood... Is it giving off a lot of tannins? I was able to get away with minimal soaking, but I decided I didn't care if I had tannins if needed.

12. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

ive been watching it it seems to grow some kind of white moss like stuff on it is that some kind of a fungus or some sort?