Starting Your Siphons

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by hobo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. hoboValued MemberMember

How do you start your siphons I use this method

[video=youtube_share;Z_lFtqsg6GY]http://youtu.be/Z_lFtqsg6GY[/video]

2. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Wow ty!!! No more mouth full of water for me!!! Much appreciated :)

3. hoboValued MemberMember

No Problem glad to help

4. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

I use a Hagen hand pump that hooks onto the hose, I use a piece of ducktape on it as the attachments don't fit my siphon but it works well. Pump it a few time and it starts to siphon the water no wet hands unless you go deep with the siphon.
    Interesting video.

5. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Video didn't work. I pull air through the hose and then throw the end in the sink or bucket. Not a big deal , fast and I rarely get water everywhere

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

7. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

same as mermax, i just suck on the end till i feel a lowering in the pressure and that signals me to throw the end into the bucket. i have only gotten my mouth wet with tank water a handful of times in my 1 year of keeping fish.

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Twice is one time too many.... ;)

9. M0T0Valued MemberMember

some times I put the whole thing in the tank with the tube let the air out it will fill with water then put thumb over the end of the hose point in bucket and let go, boom insta siphon,

10. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I'm getting the hang of using my mouth...not the best way, I guess, but the most convenient. I wouldn't do that with meds in the water, however...

11. croakerValued MemberMember

I throw the end of the hose outside dunk the end in the tank when it fills with water lift it up let all the air out then put it in the tank and open the vavle.
    i never suck on the end.

12. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I do the same as hobo.

13. soarlValued MemberMember

I use my mouth to start it. easy to see the water coming through the clear hose and stop before I gulp down dirty tank water.

14. callistraNew MemberMember

Holy cow I love this.. Totally going to try it before I go buy that bulb.. Should have read this before making my new post!

15. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

That's my way too.;)

16. totesValued MemberMember

Just tried the first video method tonight- took me a few tries to get it to work, but once I got it going, it was great!

17. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

This is exactly how I've always started my siphons :)

18. porkozoneNew MemberMember

I tried various ways until I saw this. This works quite easily and well. The only time I have trouble with this is when I have to restart the siphon when the water level is lower, making the water travel higher up the tank.

19. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

I just put both ends in the tanks both pointing up and hold them in one hand then push the hose in half down and boom syphon.