Starting With Live Plants - Beginner Help Please! Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Bettafishgal, Mar 20, 2019.

1. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I'd like to start getting live plant's and I just need some help to understand the best type of plants and what i need in order to maintain the plant's.

2. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Some of the easiest plants are java fern, anubias and java moss. They all attach to driftwood. If the tank has lots of plants in it you should add a liquid fertiliser, if it is very lightly planted you might get away with just letting it feed off of the fish waste.

I really like dwarf hair grass and water sprite too. Water sprite is very easy to grow and can be either planted in substrate or floated. Bettas quite like floating plants. You will likely need to trim it even when you upgrade your tanks to bigger ones though. How good is the light on your tank?

3. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

It's alittle dim, to be honest. Im wondering if i will need some dirt or speical gravel for some plants? If their is a different way of doing that it would be better, i'd like to try to keep my new gravel. Also how much does a trimming kit cost, and any video's that might help me learn to trim? Also i'm looking for small basic plant's (like a amazon sword i think?)

4. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Some plants like amazon swords have to be planted in deep gravel. But they grow huge and would outgrow your tanks. Before you get any plant do a bit of research into whether it's difficult to care for. Some need co2 injections, root tabs and plant substrate. Others don't. Some of the most basic plants are java fern, anubias and java moss. They don't need special gravel as you have to tie them to driftwood or a rock. They do need a good enough light though.

I don't use a special trimming kit or anything. I just get some clean scissors and cut any leaves thay are growing too big.

If you go for anubias I'd recommend anubias nana petite as some of them also grow quite large.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
  5. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Is their any smaller plants for a filtered two gal? (doing this for our previous converstation so i can cure this finrot)

Also whould it hurt a plant if i kept trimming it or trimmed it to short?

6. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

For a smaller tank I'd get dwarf anubias, such as anubias nana petite or anubias barteri nana. If you have any decorations in the tank you can just tie the plant to them and the roots will begin to grow in. They aren't usually planted unless you ensure the rhizome is above the substrate. Java moss is also good.

Another good alternative would be Marino moss balls. They are balls of algae that don't spread, algae is a plant and acts just the same. I have one in my betta tank. If you don't want plant leaves and stems taking up space you could get these.

Trimming off individual leaves that get too big is fine. Try not to trim off too many, and definitely trim leaves that are dying and rotting.

7. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I wrote a list of plants i wanna buy, and the three one's you just named off are on my top of the list! Haha! Anywho, i was told that java moss can but put on the top of a tank and that the anubias's can be burried into gravel? (without dirt/ other types of substrate?) Also i do not have petco around so the best i have is Pet's smart :(

8. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Java moss can be left floating if you want it to. Anubias can be planted but only if the rhizome is above the substrate. I'd it's buried it will begin to rot and kill the plant. If you do bury it correctly, it can just be planted in gravel, it isn't a heavy root feeder so it doesn't need special substrate. Keeping it tied to something is the best way to let it thrive. They're good plants and easy to care for.

It's important to note that they need a good light. They might begin to die off if your light isn't good enough. Also some plants that are sold have been grown out of water. It's common for the leaves to die back when adding to your tank. If they regrow then it's fine, if they don't then your light or parameters aren't adequate.

9. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I have just bought 2 mindelov java fern's a large anbuias nana and 5 smaller anbuias nana, they do have fertilizer in the bottom of the containter that i bought. Do I was it out or am i able to plant? Also side note, when adding the plant's do i do a 100% water change and do I take out the old dectorations?

10. Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

I would not get an amazon sword. i bought one, and learned too late that it needs very good ferts, and it began to die. I am still struggling to keep it alive. Take my advice and stick with something easy like java fern and Anubis.
    Hope I could help.

11. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Thanks! At the store i was really debating getting things other then the java fern and anubis (because i've heard somebody say that amazon swords are really easy) but im glad i sticked with the basic's.

12. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I always just plant them after getting rid of any sponge or anything they may have been kept in. You can wash them out in a bleach solution if you want to minimise the risk of snails. In your other post you said it said snail free so it won't be needed. You don't have to do a water change and remove decorations. You can if you want though and if the decorations take up too much room. Both the ferns and anubias have rhizomes that shouldn't be under substrate, so plant carefully.

13. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I watched a video on the anubias's and i understand that the rhizomes will need to be planted sticking out. My question is about the windelow java fern i bought, some people say leave it floating (im worried that it might catch in the filter) and other's say plant. What do you think?

14. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Really it's whatever you prefer. Everybody does it differently. Some people just leave it attached to a filter or where ever it floats to. If you don't want it blocking the filter it's probably best to carefully plant it.

15. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Same as the anubias. The java fern has a rhizome as well, that you do not want to bury. But the roots coming off of it's rhizome can be buried.

I would attach it to something rather than letting it just float.

16. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Thank you! Also, by attaching it do you mean to the gravel or other plants?

17. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Me personally, I put the long brown roots into the sand and leave the rhizome above the sand.

Or I will tuck the roots into a piece of wood or an ornament or something.

18. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I have gravel, not sand with that be okay aswell?

19. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Sure. But the roots might not stay in the gravel like they would in sand. It might be hard to keep in place.

The other thing I do with my java fern and anubias....I buy plant weights and attach it to the rhizome. Then the plant sinks I can place the plant anywhere I want to.

20. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Thanks! My petsmart only has dirt, i think that will work just aswell as sand (i hope) i'll buy some next pay-check sence i just spent everything on live plants and my master kit.