Starting Vinegar Eels Without Culture Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Anne79, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Anne79

Anne79 New Member Member

I have trouble getting my hands on a starter culture of vinegar eels... is there any way to get vinegar eels without the starter culture? like if i use a piece of apple inside non pasteurized apple cider vinegar? any way those littles eels might magically appears? i ve read some people got those 'unwanted' guests in their kombucha.. (should i try groing kombucha hoping to get eels? lolol love tea anyway :p )

Thanks for helping! *^-^*

2. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Valued Member Member

Check out this site. Has good instructions but haven't tried myself. Seems easy enough!

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Seriously, Kombucha? Well, I looked it up and wow. So that's how vinegar is made.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Sounds like there is a gap in the market
    If you do get a culture going you could make a bit of money selling starter cultures.

5. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I have around 3 litres of the culture already, but never thought to try starting one from scratch.

I used organic unpasteurized cider vinegar with the starter culture I received; it works well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice