Starting up a new freshwater tank...

1. Benjamin Fittler Initiate Member

Hey guys,

Before i get into everything I must add I am a big newbie and am starting this as a new hobby so please bear with me.pc

I have a 4ft by 2ft tank at about 250L. I have had the water cycling through overnight after adding the gravel, ornaments etc.

After testing the water just before its reading at about 8.5. I was told by a local pet store owner to have it at about 7.0-7.5. However i went to another store this morning and he said that 8.5 is pretty good. I dont really know wether to drop it down to 7.0-7.5 or keep it at 8.5.

I'm looking to set up a nice community tank with 2 albino bristlenoses, 2 white tall guppys, 3 electric blue and 3 electric yellow chiclids and maybe a pictus catfish. Will all of this be possible? and what difficulties will i be facing?

Thanks in Advance,
    Ben

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would keep the pH where it is.

Don't do pictus catfish in this size tank, they also should be kept in schools of 5+.

Don't keep mbuna (the type of cichlids you want) with other fish that aren't mbuna (unless it's synodontis or plecos).

3. axel Well Known Member Member

If your ph is stable.....no need to worry...fishes can adapt to wide range of ph

4. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed with the others.
    Never do the PH adjusters. A stable PH is better than a swinging one.
    First thing you should do is read the Nitrogen Cycle and get a good understanding of it, then decide whether you want to do a fish in or fishless cycle and act on it accordingly.
    Side note: letting the filter run is not "cycling".. Take ALL advice of pet stores to a grain of salt.
    They make money off you.
    We, on the other hand, help eachother free of charge and out of care :)
    Welcome to FishLore!!

5. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Ben...

You can add pieces of driftwood to naturally lower the pH of the tank water. A beginner to the tank keeping hobby shouldn't try to adjust the water chemistry. The process requires a lot of knowledge and work to maintain a specific water chemistry. It would be best to keep things simple at first. Most fish you get at the pet store will be fine in the majority of public water supplies. Just review the process of getting new fish used to your water conditions (drip acclamation) and use a good water treatment when you change the tank water and your fish should be fine. If you're not sure your tap water is suitable, then take a sample to the local pet store for testing.

Old

6. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

As you get into this and ask questions, people are going to ask questions about your water parameters : ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc. While you are tooling up, spring for a liquid test kit. Most people use the API master kit, because it is accurate and widely available. As you go though the cycling process, you'll need those values to evaluate the state of your tank.

7. No Fishing Member Member

I would definitely recommend not worrying about your ph and like someone previously suggested, read up on the nitrogen cycle. It is a very important process to understand and will make everything much easier in the long run. I would also buy an API freshwater testing kit to keep track of your water parameters.
    Also that stock isn't going to work. Cichlids and guppys will be a disaster.