Starting Up A 29 Gallon Need Some Help With Stocking

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by C.S.Aquarium, Aug 13, 2019.

1. C.S.Aquarium

C.S.AquariumNew MemberMember

Hi there I've recently decided to start a 29 gallon saltwater tank. I'm wondering what kind of fish would be a good idea to put In it. I'm more into semi aggressive to aggressive fish I'm not opposed to doing a single fish only tank. I've been recommended at my lfs that a fuzzy dwarf lion or fu manchu lion are good for this size is this true?? Thanks any help is appreciated!

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

What exactly do you mean by "I'm not opposed to doing a single fish only tank."?
    Anyways I think you can do a single Fu Manchu, Fuzzy / Zebra Lionfish, or a Mombasa Lionfish.
    Fu Manchu Would be your best bet.
    But if you want something I think is cooler than a Lionfish then go for an angler! Very cool fish and will work in your sized tank.

3. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

I meant as in I'm looking for a single fish in the tank don't think I worded that correctly lol and i always wanted to look into the anglers but was told they arent very interesting to keep and rarely move if at all. And what kind of angler should I buy I'd like something with a little size on it for an impressive fish If possible

4. NC122606

Some anglers you can keep is.
    1. Wartskin Angler, this fish gets to 4" and is reef safe with no fish and maybe some inverts.
    2. Red / Orange Angler, this fish gets to 6" and is reef safe with no fish and maybe some inverts.
    3. Striated Angler, this fish gets to 8.5" and is reef safe with no fish and maybe some inverts.
    4. Sargassum Fish, this fish gets to 6" and is 100% reef safe but may eat fish and some inverts.

5. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ok and what inverts would you recommend with the striated angle or the sargassum???

6. NC122606

I think they are just safe with corals, you could maybe add a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel but that is about it. Anglers I am pretty sure can eat anything up to 50% bigger than them.

7. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ok so possibly the golden dwarf moray? I dont mind having just the two just wanna make sure the angler doesnt have moray spaghetti!

8. NC122606

You should be fine with anglers that are 6" and below since the moray should be at least a foot in size.
    Also, thinking of this you might be able to do a fu Manchu lionfish with the moray.

9. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

So would I be able been to do the fu manchu and the angler?? And that's just it

10. NC122606

I would not try that as Fu Manchu only get 4 - 6" and the anglers have huge mouths.

11. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ahhh ok so I'll stick to the one angler. And what do you feed one? I read ghost shrimp arent that great

12. NC122606

Ghost Shrimp is ok to be used when trying to get it to eat, most people have trouble getting lionfish, anglers and etc to eat so they have to use Ghost Shrimp.

13. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ahhh ok and once it gets eating what do I feed it???

14. NC122606

You can feed it brine shrimp, small fish (Not recommended), and Ghost Shrimp. Once that is trained I would feed things like Frozen Cod, Tilapia, Mysis Shrimp, and Krill.
    *One thing to note is these are ambush predators and putting food on something and putting it in front of the angler to eat is best.

15. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

One last question how long do these guys live for???

16. NC122606

Lifespans of Anglers are pretty unknown but I am going to say at least 5+ years.

17. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ok thank you I'm definitely going to be picking up an angler once my tanks cycled

18. NC122606

You're welcome! Make sure to send some pictures once you have everything settled out! :) Goodluck!

19. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

I definitely will get some photos thank you

20. OP
    OP
    C.S.Aquarium

Ok so theres one last stocking idea I want to run by you guys so I read that the ghost ribbon eel and the dwarf fuzzy would be good and possibly a tomato clownfish would this be ok???