Starting To Lose Hope :c

1. MorganaTheSatyr

MorganaTheSatyr Valued Member Member

So i got my veil tailed betta about 3 weeks ago. By the first week i noticed signs of fin rot and started treating it. I bought meds and followed some instructions from u guys.
    Today i noticed tears that werent there last night. One in particular splitting his anal fin completely
    756fad7dfdb72d0e822c2c5446f1fdc0.jpg
    Although it doesnt show in the picture.. the tear has reached his body.
    I read that once this happens it could be fatal and start eating away at him.

I dont know what todo anymore but try more meds... although it doesnt seem to be helping much :(
    Any thoughts? Thanks x

2. Fisher27

Fisher27 Valued Member Member

What size is your tank? Do you have a filter? If so, is it cycled? What are your water parameters? Fin rot comes from bad water quality, so do about 50 percent water changes every 1-3 days. Plz answer the questions as well.

3. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

Where did you get him?

I know after I had mine for about a month or so mine did the same thing. His fins tore and everything all the way down to his body. I was consistently changing the water and using everything possible to help him stop it. But after a week or two of my constantly water changes and testing and etc he started to grow them back.

But my bad part is I bought it from petco.

How long has this been going on for? What all were you using to stop it? What are your parameters for your water levels?
    Nitrate, ammonia, etc

4. OP
    OP
    MorganaTheSatyr

I have a 10 ltr tank with filter (no carbon)
    It wasnt cycled when i got the fish since i got both fish and tank on same day but i did do a week straight of regular water changes and added conditioner to it.

Im from europe so my local petstore doesnt have a brand.. however i am suspecting that he wasnt kept well at all.
    Do you think the conditioner might be filtering out the meds?

I had done an entire week of water changes and medications for fin rot .. he seemed to be ok then after 2 days of rest he got worse.

Also is your betta ok now? Did the fin rot attack his body?

5. j

Ok. Have you used aquarium salt? It does help the fins if you use it

Another issue is your size of your tank. They need larger space to swim

6. OP
    OP
    MorganaTheSatyr

No i havent.. what is it please?

I read from multiple sites that 10 ltrs is enough (i think that sums up to 2.5 gallon not sure)

7. Fisher27

Well, you need to cycle it. If you don't there's no good bacteria in the filter to keep the ammonia, nitrites or nitrates down. Since you don't have a cycled filter AND he has fin rot, you need to do at least 4 water changes per week. Also, do you have a test kit? It tests your water, and it is pretty vital. Here's a very accurate test kit: API Freshwater Aquarium Master Test Kit Also, if you want to speed up the cycle, look into Seachem Stability. I know this is a lot, but probably the reason he has it. It takes at least 2 weeks to cycle, so your fish could be in danger. Please research the nitrogen cycle, or don't keep fish.

8. j

9aceb4d522dc56eda3276e0ed77c2664.jpg

If you go to a pet store or fish store that sell fish like bettas and etc ask am associate for help in the fish area. Ask for freshwater aquarium salt. Follow the directions as it says.

How often and how much do you change when you do a water change???

Thanks! Will do!

9. Fisher27

No problem! Good luck :)

I agree with jen, I think 5 gallons or bigger is best, but he will be okay.

10. j

Plus if you get a larger tank you'll be able to cycle the tank which will also help he recover from the fin rot

11. OP
    OP
    MorganaTheSatyr

Last week i did one water change per day either 50%, 75% or 30%.. varying depending.

Ill see if the pet store has. Thanks!

12. j

Ok let us know what happens

13. OP
    OP
    MorganaTheSatyr

Will do thanks!

14. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

I would suggest one more thing that is to upgrade your tank ASAP... Cause 10 litres is too small...

15. ahouseofscales

ahouseofscales Valued Member Member

Another option is pickling and canning salt. It's basically the same thing as aquarium salt and it's cheaper. It's what I use and I've never had any problems with it.

16. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

10 litres is a pretty generally accepted minimum size for a betta. He should be fine, but he's probably having a tough time right now as the tank is cycling.

17. j

We all agree that 10 litres is too small.

18. vikingkirken

I don't... 10 litres is just over 2.5g, which is generally accepted as a minimum appropriate tank size for a betta. When I said "generally accepted" I didn't mean the few people commenting on this thread...

19. OP
    OP
    MorganaTheSatyr

Thanks. I was sure 10 ltrs is enough. I dnt think that he would need much more.. also i wont be able to support more than 10 ltrs due to room space but thats my issue.
    Pet store guy tried to sell me a 6 ltr plastic tank saying he would of lived comfortably too. Though id stick with my 10 ltr.

20. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

I do agree on this that 10 litres is sufficient for betta...
    but we all know and agree on problems with small tank...
    If the tank would have been bigger then things might not have gone this far....
    small tank will create some more problems in future also...
    we all know that...
    there ia bound to be a problem in a month or two after this...

21. vikingkirken

I don't think a 10 litre tank with a betta is bound for trouble. My daughter has a betta in that size tank, she changes about half the water every week, and it has been healthy and thriving for several years. You just have to be on top of your water changes. Add a couple plants, and that will help even more.