Starting SW Tank [20G Long]

1. cjgray Initiate Member

Hello,

(New to this forum as you may have guessed lol :D hope this is the right place).

Come here for some advise, i currently have a 20 gallon long clear seal tank sitting here empty and am debating about ideas on a SW tank. (Previously held trop community up until a few weeks ago).

I have a lot of experience in fresh water having kept gar up to 13" so am no noobie as such to the hobby, But am when it comes to SW, I was hoping for some ideas on equipment and build ideas ie:

Filter
    Substrate
    Coral or no Coral
    How much live rock
    What Fish
    Skimmer or no Skimmer

My supply is quite endless as conveniently i work in a well established aquatics store.

Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated,

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

hello, welcome to fishlore... yes lol.. fishlore is the BEST place to look when you have questions about fish.

I love salt water aquariums, and i would really like one myself, but I have NO space, I am sticking to Betta fish.

any way, if you don't mind, I would like to say my dream salt water aquarium setup. tell me what you think.

Coral for sure.
    Nemos (clown fish)
    Dory (a Regal Tang)
    Lots of colorful fish...

lol I would find more if i were in a pet store..

lol

sorry.. :)

yes on skimmer. my dads friend has a huge saltwater aquarium an he uses that..

I think i just proved how little i know...lol

3. cjgray Initiate Member

Someone has watched finding nemo a few too many times haha ;)

thank you, love tangs too!

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

My thoughts in bold

Filter - not needed

Substrate - sand, Caribsea Aragonite is decent

coral or no Coral - depends on lighting and water flow, you would need to research more here

How much live rock - 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, depends on how "full" you want the tank to look

What Fish - there are some smaller species like gobies, occellaris or percula clownfish might do ok - more ideas here: https://www.fishlore.com/small_saltwater_fish_tank_species.htm

skimmer or no Skimmer - I would use a skimmer or be ready to do frequent partial water changes

Also, look into getting a heater, a power head for circulation and an RO filter.

5. cjgray Initiate Member

Thank you for the help and ideas much appreciated :)

coral or no Coral - depends on lighting and water flow, you would need to research more here - Light unit you can recommend?

How much live rock - 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, depends on how "full" you want the tank to look - So looking at about £200?

skimmer or no Skimmer - I would use a skimmer or be ready to do frequent partial water changes - Is there a skimmer and power head you can recommend?