Starting SW Tank [20G Long]

1. cjgray

cjgray Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

(New to this forum as you may have guessed lol :D hope this is the right place).

Come here for some advise, i currently have a 20 gallon long clear seal tank sitting here empty and am debating about ideas on a SW tank. (Previously held trop community up until a few weeks ago).

I have a lot of experience in fresh water having kept gar up to 13" so am no noobie as such to the hobby, But am when it comes to SW, I was hoping for some ideas on equipment and build ideas ie:

Filter
    Substrate
    Coral or no Coral
    How much live rock
    What Fish
    Skimmer or no Skimmer

My supply is quite endless as conveniently i work in a well established aquatics store.

Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated,

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +134
    hello, welcome to fishlore... yes lol.. fishlore is the BEST place to look when you have questions about fish.

I love salt water aquariums, and i would really like one myself, but I have NO space, I am sticking to Betta fish.

any way, if you don't mind, I would like to say my dream salt water aquarium setup. tell me what you think.

Coral for sure.
    Nemos (clown fish)
    Dory (a Regal Tang)
    Lots of colorful fish...

lol I would find more if i were in a pet store..

lol

sorry.. :)

yes on skimmer. my dads friend has a huge saltwater aquarium an he uses that..

I think i just proved how little i know...lol

3. OP
    OP
    cjgray

cjgray Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone has watched finding nemo a few too many times haha ;)

thank you, love tangs too!

4. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +676
    My thoughts in bold

Filter - not needed

Substrate - sand, Caribsea Aragonite is decent

coral or no Coral - depends on lighting and water flow, you would need to research more here

How much live rock - 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, depends on how "full" you want the tank to look

What Fish - there are some smaller species like gobies, occellaris or percula clownfish might do ok - more ideas here: https://www.fishlore.com/small_saltwater_fish_tank_species.htm

skimmer or no Skimmer - I would use a skimmer or be ready to do frequent partial water changes

Also, look into getting a heater, a power head for circulation and an RO filter.

5. OP
    OP
    cjgray

cjgray Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the help and ideas much appreciated :)

coral or no Coral - depends on lighting and water flow, you would need to research more here - Light unit you can recommend?

How much live rock - 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, depends on how "full" you want the tank to look - So looking at about £200?

skimmer or no Skimmer - I would use a skimmer or be ready to do frequent partial water changes - Is there a skimmer and power head you can recommend?